TROUTVILLE, Va., April 4, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The cement industry recognized Roanoke Cement Company (RCC) with top honors last week in the 2014 Cement Industry Energy and Environment Awards for Overall Environmental Excellence. The Portland Cement Association, the cement trade organization based in Washington, D.C., and Cement Americas, the leading trade publication in North and South America, sponsors the awards.
The awards honor individual cement facilities that exemplify the spirit of continuous environmental improvement and support their resolve with action. The plants recognized exceeded government regulation and requirements of local laws to ensure that their processes and policies contributed to making their communities better places to live and work.
"We are very proud to be recognized by our peers for this achievement," says Lance Clark, Environmental Manager at RCC. "Fellow cement companies can best appreciate the commitment that our environmental initiatives demand."
The Overall Environmental Excellence category acknowledges a facility that demonstrates excellence in multiple categories, including Land Stewardship, Energy Efficiency, Environmental Performance, Outreach and Innovation. RCC was recognized for several major initiatives including:
- Earning an Energy Star certification for the seventh year in-a-row
- Lowering energy consumption through maximizing the use of alternative fuels, reducing or eliminating unnecessary lighting, and upgrading cooling fans
- Earning the Wildlife Habitat Council's Corporate Lands for Learning Certification for the plant's wildlife habitat enhancement on-site
- Participation in Trout Unlimited's Trout in the Classroom program
- Recognition by the Virginia DEQ as an Exemplary Environmental Enterprise
- Installation of 'Envirolis' an environmental management system that tracks and ensures all environmental and regulatory requirements are met
- Adoption of Catawba Creek through Virginia's Adopt-A-Stream program
- The coordination of a stream mitigation project
- Continued promotion of green projects
- Participation and coordination of Earth Week activities at Greenfield Elementary School
Based in Washington, D.C., with offices in Skokie, IL, the Portland Cement Association represents cement manufacturers across the United States.
Roanoke Cement Company is a subsidiary of Titan America LLC, the premier heavy building materials producer in the eastern United States. Titan America is headquartered in Norfolk, VA and its products include cement, aggregates, ready-mixed concrete and fly ash beneficiation. Its parent company, Titan Cement Company, S.A., headquartered in Athens, Greece, is a signatory to the UN Global Compact, a group of companies committed to sustainable and socially responsible business practices.
CONTACT: Mary Beth Kramer
SOURCE Roanoke Cement Company