RoboticOncology.com News: SMARTer Prostate Cancer Treatment
Excerpts from a presentation by top prostate cancer expert, Dr. David Samadi, highlight his 3-in-1 surgical expertise and the many benefits of Robotic Assisted Laparoscopic Prostatectomy (RALP)
NEW YORK, April 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Dr. David Samadi, leading robotic prostatectomy surgeon, recently addressed an audience of colleagues, prostate cancer survivors, and their families at the Harmonie Club in New York City. Giving a very frank and detailed look at prostate cancer today, Dr. Samadi outlined why his revolutionary SMART (Samadi Modified Advanced Robotic Technique) Surgery is so successful in treating the disease and ensuring quality of life after prostate cancer.
Radical prostatectomy involves the complete removal of the cancerous prostate gland and surrounding lymph nodes. Guiding the da Vinci Surgical Robot Dr. Samadi performs his "keyhole" bloodless prostate surgery with no incisions, giving his patients a shorter hospital stay and faster recovery.
As Dr. Samadi explains, the walnut-sized prostate gland is tightly positioned amidst the delicate rectum, bladder, urethra, and sexual function nerves. His unique approach to prostate removal, SMART Surgery, leaves the endopelvic fascia and dorsal vein complex in tact, significantly reducing impact on the neurovascular bundle. With the enhanced dexterity of the robot guided by his years of experience, he is able to preserve a man's sexual function and urinary control over the course of recovery.
"Prostate removal surgery reduces the risk of metastasis by 65 percent over radiation," stresses Dr. Samadi, "The benefits of prostatectomy are numerous, but prostate cancer success comes from the skill of the surgeon, not the robot." The 3-in-1 expertise of Dr. Samadi's dedicated surgical team brings together the skills of open, laparoscopic, and robotic surgery culminating in their nearly 4,000 successful procedures to date.
The video segments below provide a glimpse into Dr. Samadi's informative presentation on the importance of routine PSA screening, how RALP is performed, and the success of his SMART Surgery.
Prostate Cancer PSA Test Saves Lives
Early prostate cancer diagnosis depends on routine PSA screening.
- Men should establish their PSA baseline with a simple blood test at age 40, to be repeated annually after age 45
- The art of medicine involves the careful review of PSA trend velocity data from year to year
- Spikes in PSA level can be explored further through a digital rectal exam (DRE) and prostate biopsy, if warranted
- Regarding the U.S. government task force, Dr. Samadi encourages long-term research on the benefits of routine PSA screening
Why Choose Robotic Prostatectomy Surgery?
Dr. Samadi explains the clarity and reassurance that come from RALP.
- Complete removal of prostatic tissue and lymph nodes enables accurate staging and tumor grading, information that is unavailable prior to or without surgery
- After prostatectomy, cancer-free peace of mind comes from a nearly undetectable PSA
- Low dose radiation should be reserved as a back up plan treatment, if needed
- Watchful waiting without treatment can subject men to a lifetime of exhausting and costly testing
Robotic Prostate Surgery SMART Technique
Details about Dr. Samadi's minimally invasive nerve-sparing surgery:
- No incisions means a blood-free surgical field for enhanced visibility during the procedure
- Robotic precision and unique surgeon approach preserve the nerves and sphincter
- Patients return home 24 hours after surgery
- Patient adherence to post-operative care facilitates 97% continence and 85% sexual potency for Dr. Samadi's patients
Robotic Prostate Surgery Details and Prostate Surgery 3-in-1 Expertise at Mt. Sinai Medical Center
Further explanation of the importance of removing a cancerous prostate and how three key surgical principals come together to deliver success:
- Prostatectomy surgery is the only prostate cancer treatment that ensures an exact diagnosis with regard to the status of the prostate gland, lymph nodes, and seminal vesicles
- Dr. Samadi's oncologic expertise brings together open, laparoscopic, robotic surgery principals
- As a center of excellence, Mt. Sinai offers Dr. Samadi's 1 surgeon-1 team-1 procedure approach; he and his dedicated team perform one RALP at a time from start-to-finish
- Surgeon expertise guides robotic success
Quality of Life After Prostate Cancer – Samadi Trifecta
Dr. Samadi concludes his presentation by stressing his very own treatment trifecta of compassionate care for ensuring each patient's quality of life after prostate cancer: cancer-free status, urinary continence, and an active sex life.
Dr. David Samadi is Vice Chairman of the Department of Urology and Chief of Robotics and Minimally Invasive Surgery at Mount Sinai Medical Center. As the Founder and Director of Mount Sinai's Robotic Fellowship Program, he routinely educates members of the medical community, both domestically and abroad, sharing his innovative SMART Surgery principals. Dr. Samadi's robotic oncology website is published in six languages, including Hebrew, Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, and German, ensuring that patients worldwide have access to the finest prostate cancer treatment available.
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.