BEIJING, March 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Crossbar, Inc., the Resistive RAM (RRAM) technology leader, today announced entry into the China market and the opening of a new office in Shanghai, China.
"China is the fastest growing market for electronics and where the majority of products are manufactured. Our extensive China VC backing and roots, new local presence and leading technology will enable the next wave of electronics innovation in China for consumer, enterprise, mobile, industrial and IoT markets," said George Minassian, chief executive officer, Crossbar, Inc. "Our recently announced partnership with SMIC will enable the creation of new applications to take advantage of our embedded technology on SMIC's 40nm process and beyond."
Crossbar customers are designing low energy and high security solutions by integrating larger on-chip non-volatile resistive RAM (RRAM) memories into smart cards, set-top boxes, IP cameras and surveillance applications.
Minassian added, "The IoT and wearables markets require energy-efficient, secure and low-cost microcontrollers. Crossbar's RRAM technology is an ideal solution to address these requirements by providing embedded memory blocks for program and data storage on chip or as stand-alone EEPROM memory."
Crossbar's technology was first developed by China-native Prof. Wei D. Lu's team. Prof. Lu is the chief scientist and co-founder of Crossbar. He has a Bachelor of Science in Physics from Tsinghua University in China, a Ph.D. in Physics from Rice University in Texas. He spent 12 years studying RRAM first as a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard University then as a professor at University of Michigan. He is a leading expert in nanostructures and devices including high-density memory and logic systems based on two-terminal resistive switching devices, neuromorphic circuits, semiconductor nanowire devices, and electrical transport in low-dimensional systems.
Crossbar's RRAM is widely accepted as the most likely contender to replace the current generation of non-volatile memory technologies, a $60 billion global market. Capable of storing multiple terabytes (TB) of data on a single 200mm2 chip, Crossbar's technology enables massive amounts of information, such as 250 hours of HD movies, to be stored and played back from an IC smaller than a postage stamp. Due to its simple three-layer structure, stackability and CMOS compatibility Crossbar enables logic and memory to be easily integrated onto a single chip at the latest technology node, a capability not possible with other traditional or alternative non-volatile memory technologies. The company's high capacity and very fast performance makes it ideal for next generation enterprise and data center storage systems as well.
RRAM provides low latency, very high performance and low power embedded RRAM blocks into MCUs, SoCs and FPGAs, targeting the low power and secure Internet of Things, wearable and tablet computers, consumer, industrial and automotive electronics markets. Crossbar's technology is capable of achieving extremely dense storage solutions, including:
- Terabytes on a single chip
- >40X denser than DRAM, with the highest performance and reliability
- 100X faster read
- 1000X faster write than NAND
- 1000x the endurance of NAND
- high temperature for data centers and mobile devices
Sample of Crossbar Technology Applications:
- Consumer Electronics, Mobile Phones and Tablets – Stores all of your personal entertainment, data, photos and information in a device that fits in your pocket. Delivers very fast storage, playback, backup and archiving.
- Enterprise Storage, SSDs and Cloud Computing – Extends SSD reliability and capacity. Improves performance for enterprise, data center and cloud storage systems.
- The Internet of Things; The Industrial Internet – Delivers years of battery life for industrial and connected applications such as smart meters and thermostats. Wide temperature ranges allow for reliability in the extreme heat of the summer or freezing temperatures in the winter. Enables entirely new, highly integrated SOCs that can be powered with a button cell or energy harvesting from the environment such as solar, heat or simple vibrations.
- Wearable Computing – Enables a new generation of wearable computing with high capacity storage in a very compact size with very low power consumption.
- Secure Payments – Can permanently store the codes and encryption keys needed for secure applications such as large volume smart cards to high-end mobile processors for contactless payments.
Global investors in Crossbar include Artiman, Correlation Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Beyers, Tyche Partners, TAO Capital Partners, University of Michigan, and China-based CBC, Oriza Holdings, Northern Light Venture Capital, SAIF Partners, Korea Investment Partners Co., Ltd.
About Crossbar, Inc.
Crossbar, Inc. is the leader in RRAM technology, widely accepted as the front-runner to replace traditional Flash technology in future storage systems. Delivering terabyte storage on a postage stamp-sized chip, with power low enough for massive adoption throughout the Internet of Things, Crossbar RRAM is easy to tailor for a broad range of applications. From embedded memory on SOCs for wearables, to very high density SSDs for cloud data centers, Crossbar is ushering in a new era of storage innovation. For more information, visit Crossbar-Inc.com.
Crossbar Media Contact:
Tanis Communications, Inc.
Tel: +1 650-422-3716
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rram-leader-crossbar-enters-china-memory-market-300239355.html
SOURCE Crossbar, Inc.