Ruggles® Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Does the Trick
Seasonal Ice Cream Treat Signals Crisp Autumn Days Ahead
ORRVILLE, Ohio, Sept. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Dairy Enterprises Inc. announced today that autumn favorite Ruggles Limited Edition Pumpkin Pie Premium Ice Cream is now available in grocers' freezers throughout the region.
"Our Limited Edition Pumpkin Pie ice cream kicks off our holiday flavor season," said Penny Baker , Director of Marketing for Ruggles. "It means that the crisp days of autumn are almost here."
Ruggles Limited Edition Pumpkin Pie Premium Ice Cream consists of pumpkin ice cream with a hint of nutmeg and delicious pie crust pieces. The seasonal flavor will be available while supplies last, in 1.75-quart containers with a suggested retail price (SRP) of $5.29 to $5.99.
In the spirit of the only season that's called by two names--both "autumn" and "fall"—the Ruggles team has compiled some tricky trivia to enjoy with their seasonal pumpkin pie ice cream treat:
- In early colonial times, pumpkins were used as an ingredient for the crust of pies, not the filling.
- Antarctica is the only continent on which pumpkins can't be grown.
- Native Americans used pumpkin seeds for food and medicine. They also flattened strips of the pumpkin and dried them to make mats.
- Why do leaves change color in the fall? Leaves are green in summer when they are full of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll production is affected by light. As days grow shorter, chlorophyll levels drop and other non-light-dependent pigments take over, bringing forth a lovely array of reds, yellows, and oranges.
- There are only two days of the year when you can stand an egg on end. One of those days is the first day of autumn, which falls on Sept. 22 this year. (The other day is the spring equinox.) The egg does not have to be hard-boiled for this "trick" to work.
Ruggles' next seasonal flavor, which will be available by Thanksgiving, Hot Chocolate Premium Ice Cream—creamy chocolate ice cream swirled with marshmallow and chocolate chunks.
About Smith Dairy Products Company and Dairy Enterprises Incorporated
Smith Dairy Products Company manufactures products marketed by Dairy Enterprises Inc. Family-owned since 1909 and headquartered in Orrville, Ohio, Smith Dairy Products Company has sister production facilities in Indiana (Wayne Dairy Products Inc.) and Missouri (Pacific Valley Dairy Inc.). Smith Dairy Products Company manufactures a full line of quality dairy, beverage, ice cream, and foodservice products, from Ruggles® Premium Ice Cream to SMITH'S Milk in the distinctive yellow jug. Dairy Enterprises Inc. and Smith Dairy Products Company assure their customers the freshest and highest-quality products. For more information, visit www.smithsbrand.com or become a fan of Smith Dairy and Ruggles on Facebook.
SOURCE Ruggles Premium Ice Cream
More by this Source
Ruggles' New Cartons Driven by Consumer Preference
Feb 06, 2013, 10:15 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.