CHICAGO, April 11, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- A team of Rush University students is presenting the fourth annual TEDxRushU event, "Seize the Future," on Saturday, April 30, from 1 to 5 p.m. in the Searle Auditorium, 1653 W. Congress Parkway.
This independently organized TEDx event, which is based on the highly popular TED Talks series, is led by an altruistic, interdisciplinary group of students from Rush's Health Systems Management (HSM) program — ranked fifth in the nation by U.S. News & World Report — to encourage the brightest minds to converge and inspire, which was the lifelong mission of Mayur Patel, a former HSM faculty member whose life was taken unexpectedly in 2011.
A diverse lineup of forward-thinking leaders with expertise in everything from medicine and psychotherapy to environmentally conscious farming will take the stage. These speakers will showcase their ideas and talents, leaving participants inspired and empowered to initiate positive change.
The following is a list of this year's speakers and topics:
- "Sparing the Scalpel: A Surgeon's Perspective on the Future of Orthopedic Medicine," presented by Brian Cole, MD, orthopedic surgery, section head of the Cartilage Research and Restoration Center at Rush University Medical Center and director of Sports Medicine at Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush
- "The Future of Farming – Making Nature Better," presented by Robert Colangelo, founding farmer and CEO of Green Sense Farms
- "The Future of Religion," presented by George Fitchett, director of research in the Department of Religion, Health and Human Values, Rush University
- "The Future of Relationships," presented by Jacob Goldsmith, PhD, associate clinical director of the Epstein Center for the Study of Psychotherapy Change, The Family Institute at Northwestern University
- "The Future of Architecture," presented by Tom Bassett-Dilley, AIA, CPHC, architect specializing in sustainability
Tickets are $40 per person ($20 for Rush students) and can be purchased online.
Rush University is a health science university and is the academic component of Rush University Medical Center, a leading academic medical center.
Rush University was founded in 1972 and has expanded from one college and fewer than 100 students to four colleges and an all-time high of 2,457 students in academic year 2014-15. It is known for its high-quality health care education, supportive learning environment, engagement with the urban community and forward-looking education approach.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/rush-university-medical-center-to-host-tedxrushu-on-april-30-300249013.html
SOURCE Rush University Medical Center