BALTIMORE, March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SafeNet, Inc., a global leader in data protection, today revealed its top six ways for protecting sensitive data stored on Amazon Web Services (AWS). Businesses are increasingly turning to elastic, pay-as-you-go cloud services such as AWS to run business-critical applications and store company data, but concerns about compliance and sensitive data are impeding progress. In an e-book titled 6 Ways to Enhance Security in AWS, SafeNet outlines how companies can demonstrate compliance and illustrate control of sensitive data.
SafeNet, an AWS Advanced Technology Partner, recommends six solutions to enhance security, including:
- Roots of Trust – Whether protecting cryptographic keys or authenticating devices, roots of trust are components inherently trusted to perform one or more security-critical functions, available in both virtual security appliances and tamper-proof hardware appliances. The AWS CloudHSM service uses SafeNet's tamper-resistant Luna® SA hardware security modules as its root of trust to provide customers with single-tenant appliances in the AWS cloud to meet their cryptographic storage needs. Luna modules meet several government security standards and integrate with a large number of cryptographic protocols, allowing organizations to demonstrate compliance with strict information regulations.
- Centralized Encryption Key Management – SafeNet's Virtual KeySecure for AWS Marketplace allows organizations to quickly deploy centralized key management in high-availability, clustered configurations, using a hardened virtual security appliance that runs in the AWS cloud. It securely stores and manages encryption keys and policies for AWS EC2 workloads, and ensures that organizations maintain ownership of their encryption keys at all times. SafeNet's Crypto Management platform has the largest number of partner integrations in the industry. Availability on AWS expands this solution even further and allows more customers to take advantage of encryption key management for their organization.
- Encryption and Pre-Boot Authentication for EC2 and EBS – SafeNet's ProtectV™ for AWS Marketplace encrypts entire virtual machine instances and attached storage volumes while ensuring complete isolation of data and separation of duties. It unifies encryption and control across virtualized and cloud environments, and increases security and compliance for sensitive data residing in AWS EC2 instances. ProtectV™ also ensures that no virtual machine instance can launch without proper pre-boot authentication.
- Client-Side Object Encryption for Amazon S3 – SafeNet ProtectApp provides customer-controlled client-side object encryption for storage in Amazon's Simple Storage Service (S3) when integrated with AWS SDKs. ProtectApp forms an encryption client that provides application input keys to encrypt objects before loading them to storage, making data unreadable by unauthorized users and making sure the cloud provider never has access to unencrypted application data.
- Storage Encryption for the AWS Storage Gateway – StorageSecure is a network encryption appliance that offers optimal protection of data at rest in physical, virtual, and cloud-based storage environments. It is a transparent solution that enables organizations to retain strict controls over data access by connecting an on-premises software appliance with AWS S3, establishing a seamless and secure integration between their on-premises storage environment and AWS. The AWS Storage Gateway appliance is installed on the customer premises and is connected to StorageSecure via the iSCSI protocol.
- File Encryption for EC2 Instances and S3 – SafeNet ProtectFile provides automated file encryption for unstructured data contained in network drives and file servers. ProtectFile is deployed in tandem with SafeNet KeySecure and encrypts flat files that contain sensitive data, including text documents, spreadsheets, bitmap images, and vector drawings. The combined solution provides encryption and access control policies to protect designated folders and files via data-centric encryption.
"SafeNet has been protecting the valuable data assets of Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and other organizations for more than 30 years," said Prakash Panjwani, senior vice president and general manager, Data Protection Solutions, SafeNet. "As companies migrate to cloud services, SafeNet is in lockstep with them, providing strong encryption solutions that meet their needs for rigorous security, regardless of their environment."
For more information about how SafeNet provides strong encryptions for AWS customers, download the e-book 6 Ways to Enhance Security in AWS.
- Learn more about:
- AWS CloudHSM
- Luna SA hardware security modules
- Virtual KeySecure for AWS Marketplace key management solution
- ProtectV for AWS Marketplace – unified encryption and access control
- ProtectApp – encryption for application data
- StorageSecure – self-contained NAS hardware encryption appliance
- ProtectFile – unstructured data protection
- DataSecure – foundation for data encryption and control
About SafeNet, Inc.
Founded in 1983, SafeNet, Inc. is one of the largest information security companies in the world, and is trusted to protect the most sensitive data for market-leading organizations around the globe. SafeNet's data-centric approach focuses on the protection of high-value information throughout its lifecycle, from the data center to the cloud. More than 25,000 customers across commercial enterprises and government agencies trust SafeNet to protect and control access to sensitive data, manage risk, ensure compliance, and secure virtual and cloud environments. Learn more about SafeNet on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, YouTube, and Google+.
SafeNet Media Contact:
44 127 660 8055
SOURCE SafeNet, Inc.