ATLANTA, May 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- May marks National Electrical Safety month across the country – a time to spotlight the importance of electricity in everyday life, as well as electrical safety in and around the house. Georgia Power, the state's leading electric utility serving 2.5 million customers, makes safety a core value for thousands of employees across the state who work safely every day to keep power flowing for customers.
Georgia Power offers the following simple Electrical Safety Month tips:
- Consider the Cord – Don't place appliance cords where they will come into contact with stoves or other heated surfaces, over countertops or areas where they could be pulled. Look for frayed appliance cords, inspect them regularly and never substitute an extension cord for permanent wiring.
- Ladders Matter – Exercise caution when using ladders around the house, painting, pruning or cleaning near a service drop as all ladders can conduct electricity.
- Watch for Wires – Keep balloons, kites, fishing lines, aluminum poles and unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones) away from overhead lines every day and as line crews work in the field.
- Prep Poolside – Don't use electrical appliances near pools and never route extension cords around pools.
- Focus on Fire Prevention – Avoid storing combustibles such as paint, cardboard, sawdust and flammable liquids near electrical equipment or fuse boxes.
For more electrical safety information, as well as a home appliance amp reference chart and information on circuits and wiring, visit www.georgiapower.com/safety.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), one of the nation's largest generators of electricity. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/safety-tips-from-georgia-power-for-national-electrical-safety-month-300267660.html
SOURCE Georgia Power