NEW YORK, Feb. 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Since 2013, through Armada Publishing, Pat Caddell, Bob Perkins and Scott Miller have been conducting surveys with American voters. The most recent survey conducted was conducted in January.
The research clearly indicates a new paradigm has emerged in American politics. And the new poll shows that the experts -- the media, establishment pundits and campaign strategists -- don't seem to understand what the American people are saying to them. The perception of widespread political corruption in Washington shades virtually every response in the research. And the state of alienation in our country is unprecedented – in size and scope.
- Americans continue to believe their country is in decline (this year, by a two-thirds majority). 56% believe the future in the United States will be worse for most children.
- Voters believe they know why this decline is happening. Seventy-two percent believe the reason families in our middle class have not seen their economic condition improve for decades and economic growth is stalled is "because of corruption and crony capitalism in Washington."
- The Democratic and Republican Parties are essentially useless in changing this situation. Americans overwhelmingly agree (78% to 15%) that both political parties are too beholden to special interests to create any meaningful change.
- A large majority of voters want new faces and new parties. 75% of all voters of all parties and all demographics believe we need new leaders.
- This is a revolution. Although this is seen as a chaotic and temporary situation by most of the political and media establishment, the research shows a strong, evolving tidal wave of discontent and growing pressure for real and dramatic change that will extend beyond this fall's election.
Do the voters think Clinton or Trump or Sanders or Cruz or Rubio can change this? Not really. But they think Smith can. Who? "Smith" is the hypothetical candidate the poll used to represent a candidate who would lead sweeping reform in Washington. Candidate Smith, running as an Independent, easily defeats any of the current presidential candidates. Smith's favorable/unfavorable numbers are 77%-11% among all voters. Smith's platform for reform (which you can see at WeNeedSmith.com, along with a more detailed summary of the poll) gets similar support across the board with all voters.
When it comes to the 2016 presidential election, "none of the above" leads by a wide margin. Only a candidate who can promise real and sweeping reform of the status quo in Washington can get the support of the American people.
About Armada Publishing
Patrick Caddell, Scott Miller and Bob Perkins are principals of Armada Publishing, a New York-based consulting and research firm. Caddell has served as pollster and strategist in numerous Democratic presidential campaigns. Miller has extensive political experience in both Democratic and Republican campaigns. Perkins has held senior positions in the National Republican Senatorial Committee and the Republican National Committee.
SOURCE Armada Publishing