SAN JOSE, Calif., Sept. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ultrasound designers can now reduce form factor and improve image quality and reliability with the MAX2082 octal ultrasound transceiver from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM). This highly integrated transceiver replaces thousands of discrete components in any ultrasound system. It saves 40% board space and consumes 30% less power than conventional architecture.
Ultrasound equipment is quickly moving from the typical hospital room to smaller clinics, doctor's offices, and patient's homes as a low-cost, noninvasive diagnostic tool. Meanwhile, customers are demanding higher levels of performance and more affordable solutions. Ultrasound systems must now shrink in size and provide more clarity in images, so testing and diagnoses become more convenient, more immediate, and more accurate. The solution is the MAX2082, a complete, low-power ultrasound transceiver solution. It integrates 8 channels of 3-level 200V pulsers and T/R switches, an octal ADC, octal LNA, octal VGA, CW mixers, anti-aliasing filters, and coupling capacitors into a small package requiring less than 10 square inches. This is 40% of the space required for conventional solutions and is especially beneficial for portable systems. Traditional designs include over nine components in the T/R switch alone for each of the channels on a typical 128-channel system, so the MAX2082 displaces thousands of discrete parts. Power-supply noise and switching noise are all minimized in the MAX2082 for superior image quality.
- Higher image quality and performance: improved system sensitivity and image quality through an ultra-low noise figure (2.8dB at RIN = RS = 200 Ohm) and a high-dynamic-range receiver (76dBFS SNR at fIN = 5MHz and 2MHz bandwidth)
- Space savings: high integration saves 40% more area than conventional architecture
- Higher integration and reliability: combines five separate blocks into one IC, replacing thousands of discrete components in a standard system
- Lower power: consumes 30% less power than conventional architecture
- "The shift to more portable ultrasound equipment plays to Maxim's strengths of integration and low power. Maxim is the only supplier that combines the high- and low-voltage blocks into one package," said Manav Malhotra, Executive Business Manager at Maxim Integrated.
Availability and Pricing
- Available in a 10mm x 26mm BGA package.
- Specified over the 0-degree Celsius to 70-degree Celsius temperature range.
- Pricing starts at $70.00 (1000-up, FOB USA).
About Maxim Integrated At Maxim Integrated, our designs make the world more integrated. And with analog integration, the possibilities are endless. In Fiscal 2013, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.