RACINE, Wis., Sept. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- SC Johnson announced today that it has received a 2012 Clean Air Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The annual award recognizes and honors outstanding innovative efforts to help make progress in achieving cleaner air.
"SC Johnson has long been committed to doing the right thing for both people and the planet. From early partnerships with the EPA to our use of innovative renewable energy sources like wind power and cogeneration, we've reduced our U.S. greenhouse gases by 27 percent since 2005," said Fisk Johnson, Chairman and CEO of SC Johnson. "This recognition is such an honor as we continue to push forward in our efforts to reduce our environmental footprint."
The award recognizes companies who reduce pollutant emissions, demonstrate innovation, offer sustainable outcomes and provide a model for others to follow. SC Johnson is one of 11 organizations to be recognized in the category of Clean Air. The company received commendation for its Global Sustainability Program.
"SC Johnson is known for its environmental leadership, and its actions clearly demonstrate this commitment," said Gina McCarthy, EPA Assistant Administrator for the Office of Air and Radiation. "We applaud the company's efforts and hope that other organizations follow its lead."
SC Johnson's use of innovative renewable energy has played a key role in the company's greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions. Its largest manufacturing facility, Waxdale, is powered by two cogeneration turbines, annually reducing emissions by 52,000 tons of carbon dioxide. Since 2005, the 2.2 million-square-foot facility has been powered by waste methane and natural gas, generating the daily base load of electricity and between half and all the steam needed for the plant's operation.
Also contributing to the company's GHG reduction is its commitment to wind power. SC Johnson is currently constructing two wind turbines, expected to be approximately 415 feet tall, at Waxdale that will reduce carbon emissions associated with powering the facility by 6,000 metric tons annually. Also, since 2008, the company has sourced nearly half of the electricity for its Michigan factory from wind energy, replacing almost half the factory's annual purchase of coal fired electricity with a clean, renewable source.
Product innovation also plays a role in the company's air quality achievements. Its patented Greenlist™ process is designed to improve ingredients and packaging used in its household products, and has eliminated nearly 48 million pounds of VOCs from SC Johnson products in the last five years.
A Legacy of Leadership
SC Johnson's commitment to the environment spans decades. The company takes a holistic approach and initiatives are focused around using fewer resources, generating less waste and making winning products. Recent examples include:
- In 2012, SC Johnson receives a Climate Leadership Award for Excellence in Greenhouse Gas Management (Goal Achievement) from the EPA, the Association of Climate Change Officers, the Center for Climate and Energy Solutions, and The Climate Registry.
- In 2012, the company launched the Greener Choices Marketplace, offering a line of concentrated refill products for its Windex®, fantastik®, Pledge®, Scrubbing Bubbles® andShout® brands. Each concentrated refill uses 79 percent less plastic than the standard bottles.
- In 2011, the company received a Green Power Leadership Award from the EPA in recognition of its commitment and contribution to the advancement of the nation's voluntary green power market.
- In 2009, SC Johnson introduced its groundbreaking ingredient communication program, surpassing industry guidelines.
- In 2008, SC Johnson received the EPA's Safer Detergents Stewardship Initiative award for voluntarily committing to use safer surfactants in products.
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family-owned and managed business dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, and insect control. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR. MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 126-year old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
SOURCE SC Johnson