Schizophrenia and Its Treatment Reviewed by NeuroPerspective
CARDIFF, Calif., March 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- NI Research has released the March issue of NeuroPerspective. The issue features a comprehensive review of schizophrenia, with a focus on the progress being made in developing therapies that go beyond the blunting of the hallucinations and delusions that are the signature symptoms of this most devastating of all the psychiatric disorders.
"The advances being made in nicotinic and glutamatergic adjunctive treatments herald the long-awaited prospect of options for ameliorating the negative and cognitive symptoms of schizophrenia," said Harry Tracy , Ph.D., editor and publisher of NeuroPerspective.
The 32-page issue includes:
- An overview of the pathophysiology and genetic substrates for schizophrenia.
- A review of programs in development as both monotherapy and adjunctive options for schizophrenia.
- Programs covered in the review include: Nicotinic alpha 7 modulators from Targacept, EnVivo, AbbVie, and others; Glutamatergic candidates in development by Roche, JNJ/Addex, Mnemosyne, Sage, Amgen, and Promentis; Muscarinic drugs from Karuna and Mithridion; PDE modulators from Roche, Biocrea, Takeda/Intra-Cellular, Boehringer Ingelheim; and BioLineRx's BL-1020. Shire Pharmaceuticals' campaign to expand the use of Vyvanse into schizophrenia is evaluated. The potential of Acadia Pharmaceuticals' pimavanserin as a dose-sparing antipsychotic adjunct is considered.
- The dilemma of having to choose between negative and cognitive symptoms as a primary endpoint for clinical testing is reviewed and discussed.
- Tardive Dyskinesia is assessed as a target for drug development.
- Elan's strategic planning in the wake of the sale of Tysabri to Biogen-Idec is reviewed and critiqued.
The March issue of NeuroPerspective is available as a single-issue purchase for $250.
Further information and online purchasing with immediate delivery are available at http://www.niresearch.com/onlinestore.html
About NI Research
NI Research is the leading publisher of independent research on the neurotherapeutics industry, and has developed an unmatched information base regarding both publicly and privately held CNS companies. NeuroPerspective (formerly NeuroInvestment) is the authoritative, independent, monthly review of the neurotherapeutics area, providing critical analysis of therapeutics-in-development.
A one-year subscription to NeuroPerspective is $2,300.
NI Research also publishes NeuroLicensing, the Private CNS Company Review, and NeuroSynopsis, a monthly four-page summary of highlights from NeuroPerspective. NIR also provides consulting services to the pharma industry regarding licensing and strategic planning.
SOURCE NI Research
More by this Source
Parkinson's Therapeutics Reviewed by NeuroPerspective
May 06, 2013, 08:18 ET
ALS Reviewed by NeuroPerspective
Feb 11, 2013, 08:35 ET
Rapid-Acting Antidepressants Reviewed by NeuroPerspective
Dec 11, 2012, 08:35 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.