NEW YORK, April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Scholastic, the global children's publishing, education and media company, announced the launch of Scholastic Learning Zone, a platform through which teachers, students, and school administrators in international markets can access Scholastic's growing portfolio of quality digital instructional programs with single sign-on. Scholastic Learning Zone also offers a suite of classroom management and reporting tools that enable teachers and administrators to effectively group students for instruction and keep track of which programs their students are using and how much time they spend on each. The Scholastic Learning Zone, which is offered in English and Spanish, is now available in Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.
"We are proud to expand our portfolio of regionally-appropriate educational software for our global customers, and to offer them the added benefits of single sign-on and classroom management and reporting that is provided by Scholastic Learning Zone," said Shane Armstrong, Executive Vice President and President, Scholastic International. "Scholastic Learning Zone makes the process of creating and distributing these quality learning materials faster and more efficient, keeping relevant and updated content in classrooms throughout the world."
The programs currently offered through Scholastic Learning Zone include:
- BookFlix® – an online literacy resource that pairs classic video versions of the very best children's picture books with related nonfiction ebooks to build a love of reading and learning.
- TrueFlix™ – the only online resource that leverages award-winning True Book content to help students hone literacy skills, and build subject-area knowledge and vocabulary.
- Grolier Online -- the most comprehensive source of nonfiction content, including more than 120,000 nonfiction articles, access to more than 1,100 world newspapers and streaming GOTube videos.
- The Graph Club® – an easy-to-use tool that enables students in grades K-4 to create, explore, interpret, and print graphs, helping them make the transition from graphing with manipulatives to graphing in the abstract.
- Timeliner® – a powerful and intuitive software program students use to organize data, from historical events, to scientific processes, to story arcs, and to see the connections.
- Neighborhood Map Machine® – a hands-on program that allows students to create maps of their own neighborhoods‚ other communities‚ or imaginary places.
"Parents and students in our school are very happy with Scholastic Learning Zone, because it's interactive, and the topics in the programs are interesting to them," said Sussette Bracamonte de Gudiel, a teacher at Colegio Bilingüe Internacional Manos a la Obra in Guatamala, who piloted the program in her school. "They're reading the books together and they like the videos and the fiction and non-fiction components. We are looking forward to additional programs and features being added as we continue to use Scholastic Learning Zone."
About Scholastic Inc.
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world's largest publisher and distributor of children's books and a leader in educational technology and related services and children's media. Scholastic creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning materials and programs, magazines, multi-media and other products that help children learn both at school and at home. The Company distributes its products and services worldwide through a variety of channels, including school-based book clubs and book fairs, retail stores, schools, libraries, on-air, and online at www.scholastic.com.
SOURCE Scholastic Inc.