Scripps Wins More Edward R. Murrow Awards Than Ever Before
CINCINNATI, April 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Just hours after The E.W. Scripps Company (NYSE: SSP) received the coveted Distinguished Service Award at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) conference in Las Vegas, the company announced additional accolades for its commitment to journalistic excellence.
Scripps television stations in six markets are winners of 13 regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for outstanding achievements in electronic journalism.
The Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) announced the regional winners across the country. Scripps stations honored include:
- KMGH in Denver received four regional Murrow awards, including the regional overall station excellence award. It also received a Murrow award in the categories of best documentary, for the Call7 Investigation, "Pinnocol Assurance," best newscast - 7NEWS at 10PM, and best website - TheDenverChannel.com.
- WFTS in Tampa earned three Murrow awards for breaking news, best newscast and best website – ABCActionNews.com.
- KSHB in Kansas City won two Murrow awards. Multi-Media Journalist Ryan Kath's "Miraculous Save" won in the video feature reporting category, and the Investigators Team won a Murrow award for investigative reporting for "William Norris Investigation."
- WEWS in Cleveland received the Murrow award for investigative reporting with "Operation Deep Freeze" by the NewsChannel 5 On Your Side Investigators. The story also received the George Foster Peabody Award. The station's website, newsnet5.com, won a Murrow award for best website in the region.
- WPTV in West Palm Beach, Florida won a Murrow in the hard news category for its investigation, "Keyless Cars."
- WMAR in Baltimore received a Murrow award in writing for Brian Kuebler's story, "Road to Recovery."
"We are incredibly humbled that the RTDNA has singled out so much of our company's work for this extraordinary honor," said Brian Lawlor, senior vice president of the Scripps television stations. "Since Scripps returned to its roots as a local news and information company in 2008, we have been laser-focused on improving the news product at our newspapers and television stations. These investigations and others produced across our properties every day are proof of how the company's multi-media journalists are making a meaningful, daily impact on their communities."
In addition to the 13 awards being the highest yearly total for Murrows won by Scripps, the company's chief digital officer, Adam Symson, noted that the company had never won as many as three Murrow awards for best website. "The digital initiatives across our entire portfolio are enjoying strong momentum as they engage growing audiences with compelling story-telling and new interactive features," he said. "All Scripps employees can take satisfaction in having our websites honored at such a high level."
RTDNA has been honoring outstanding achievements in electronic journalism with the Murrow Awards since 1971. Radio, television and online news managers from markets across the country judged the entries in March.
Scripps (www.scripps.com) delivers quality journalism and creates valuable marketing environments through television stations, newspapers and a growing menu of digital products and services that now includes social games. Creative and mission-driven employees "give light so the people can find their own way" at 19 television stations in major U.S. markets and at newspapers in 13 markets.
SOURCE The E.W. Scripps Company
More by this Source
Award-winning political journalist joins Scripps Washington Bureau
Dec 11, 2013, 14:26 ET
Scripps acquires video news provider to help it enter digital video business
Dec 09, 2013, 15:30 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.