EMERYVILLE, Calif., Oct. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- SCS Global Services (SCS) proudly celebrates World Standards Day with a reflection on the positive environmental and social influence that consensus standards such as those developed through the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) deliver across the globe. As a certification body accredited under ISO requirements for third-party certifiers, and as a participant in standards development on a national and international level, SCS has witnessed firsthand the accomplishments of its clients in driving sustainability development.
"Consensus standards provide valuable guidance to companies, government and non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders seeking to address the important environmental and social challenges of our time," said Linda Brown, Senior Vice President at SCS Global Services.
SCS conducts accredited certification to recognized sustainability and environmental leadership standards in fields such as responsible forestry, carbon offset verification, food safety, green building, life cycle assessment and more. Adherence to ISO standards has enabled SCS and its clients to demonstrate high quality and performance while meeting their sustainability values. For example:
- SCS has verified carbon offset projects accounting for more than 30 million tons of avoided greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions under well-known registries including the ISO 14065 (and 14064-3) compliant Climate Registry, the Voluntary Carbon Standard and the Climate Action Reserve.
- SCS has conducted a multitude of life cycle assessment (LCA) studies based on rigorous ISO 14040-series LCA protocols to generate internal reports, develop Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) and certify Environmentally Preferable Products (EPP). These services have benefited clients ranging from energy utilities and government agencies to product manufacturers and industry associations, such as the U.S. Department of Energy, the American Iron and Steel Institute, Delta Plastics, SaskPower, Western Area Power Administration, NuCraft, Osmose, and Invista.
- SCS is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) under the ISO/IEC 65 standard as a qualified third-party certification body for proprietary and industry standards alike. In the green building sector alone, more than 150 product manufacturers have been certified to the SCS Indoor AdvantageTM and to the Resilient Floor Covering Institute (RFCI) FloorScore® indoor air quality standards, as well as to the BIFMA level® sustainable furniture standard.
SCS is also accredited to certify against other internationally recognized consensus-developed standards in a variety of business realms, with remarkable results:
- More than 35 million acres of forestland certified to the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) standard
- 18 fisheries including more than 20 species of fish and mollusks across the globe certified to the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) standard
- Over 120 farms certified as Sustainably Grown
SCS Global Services (SCS) has been providing global leadership in third-party environmental and sustainability certification, auditing, testing, and standards development three decades. Programs span a cross-section of industries, recognizing achievements in green building, product manufacturing, food and agriculture, forestry, and more. SCS is a Certified B Corp, signifying its commitment to environmentally and socially responsible business practices (www.scsglobalservices.com).
SOURCE SCS Global Services