KIRKLAND, Wash., Sept. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The weekend construction and events calendar will have Seattle/Bellevue area drivers checking their traffic apps as frequently as Seahawk's coach Pete Carroll checks his playbook. And just like football, one bad hit could change the entire game.
"With construction closures on Interstate 5 and State Route 520, predicted sunny skies and a Seahawks game that sold out in three minutes, we're recommending drivers head into the weekend at the top of their driving game," said Jamie Holter, INRIX Traffic Analyst.
Construction closures on State Route 520 and Interstate 5 in downtown Seattle coupled with a capacity crowd at CenturyLink Field will have smart drivers planning ahead, mapping out alternate routes and downloading traffic apps that deliver traffic information on state highways, interstates and side roads.
Construction and events
- Crews will close two of four lanes on northbound I-5 between Olive Way and the Ship Canal Bridge from 10 p.m., Friday, Sept. 13 through 5 a.m., Monday, Sept. 16. Two lanes will remain open.
- The I-5 express lanes will run northbound all weekend, adding more lanes to the northbound trip.
- State Route 520 will close between I-405 and Montlake Boulevard from 11 p.m. Friday, Sept. 13 through 9 a.m., Sunday, Sept. 15.
- The Seahawks take on the San Francisco 49ers at CenturyLink Field at 5:30 p.m. Sunday.
INRIX pinch points and guidance
- Saturday from 12 noon through 6 p.m. on northbound I-5 from Southcenter to the Ship Canal Bridge.
- The heaviest traffic will occur between 12 noon and 1 p.m. with nearly double the typical travel times between Martin Luther King Way and the Ship Canal Bridge.
- Drivers should plan on 50 minutes, about 20 minutes longer than usual.
- Traffic should be back to typical Saturday congestion by 3 p.m.
- Saturday from 1 p.m. through 6 p.m. on southbound I-5 between Northgate and I-90.
- The heaviest traffic will occur between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. from Northgate to I-90 with travel times nearly twice as long as a typical Saturday.
- Southbound drivers should plan on 45 minutes to get from Shoreline to I-90 between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Southbound SR 99 will also be extremely congested from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. with longer drive times than I-5.
- Sunday 2 p.m. through 5:30 p.m. on northbound I-5, northbound 99 and city streets near CenturyLink Field as fans arrive for the Seahawks game.
- The worst congestion will occur between 12 and 1:30 p.m. and again between 4 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Drivers should plan on a 30 minute trip from Southcenter at noon and after 4 p.m.
- Drivers can help ease congestion by tailgating early and arriving at the field between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- SR 99 will be significantly better than I-5, saving drivers 20 minutes.
- Sunday 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. as departing Seahawks fans mingle with late weekend travelers. The I-5 lane closures will add to congestion. Fans are encouraged to use I-90 to get across the lake and SR 99 to head north.
INRIX advises drivers to:
- Plan for double or triple typical travel times during the pinch points this weekend.
- Download traffic apps that provide real-time traffic information and automatic rerouting if a collision occurs on the preferred route.
- Use I-405 to avoid Seattle-area closures and traffic.
Drivers can download the free INRIX Traffic App available on both Android and iOS to set game time departure alerts and get real-time traffic information as they head to the game.
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services help more than 150 million drivers save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering nearly 3 million miles of road in 32 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.