KIRKLAND, Wash., May 15, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- INRIX®, a leading provider of traffic information and driver services, released its annual Memorial Day weekend getaway traffic forecast estimating a significant increase in Seattle traffic this Memorial Day weekend compared to last year, particularly on Friday, May 23. The upswing in congestion is consistent with data from the INRIX Traffic Scorecard Annual Report released in March, which ranked Seattle as the eighth most congested city in the U.S. Traffic increased by 7 percent last year wasting drivers on average 37 hours in gridlock.
The combination of an improving economy and a desire to do more than just a 'staycation' after one of the toughest winters of recent memory is expected to translate into more traffic over the holiday weekend. However, Seattle drivers can avoid bumper-to-bumper traffic with INRIX's help. Based on sophisticated analysis of current traffic trends, economic trends and historical traffic patterns from previous holidays, INRIX recommends the following to drivers looking to avoid the worst delays heading out of town:
- Depart between 10-11 a.m. on Friday. INRIX's analysis predicts the ideal window to get out of town will be right after morning rush hour. This could be drivers' golden opportunity to escape the worst of the holiday traffic before the late afternoon rush ensues, which will start earlier than usual on Friday.
- Alternatively, leave by 1 p.m. or after 6 p.m. to avoid the worst delays. Rush hour on Friday afternoon is expected to be its worst between 3-5 p.m. when the average trip will take more than 30 percent longer than normal. If drivers cannot leave right after the morning rush hour, ideally between 10-11 a.m., they should depart before 1 p.m. to avoid the worst traffic. Otherwise, traffic heading out of Seattle should be clear by 6 p.m.
- Download the INRIX XD™ Traffic mobile app. INRIX's app provides real-time traffic information covering arterials; city streets and other secondary roads that will help drivers avoid congestion with minimal delay.
Route Insights for Nearby Holiday Destinations
Additionally, INRIX examined traffic flow to popular destinations within driving distance from the Seattle. INRIX recommends leaving before 1 p.m. if traveling to these areas on Friday, May 23.
- Peak Travel Time: 3-5 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes via I-90. Drivers are expected to experience at least 40 minutes of delay at this time.
- Peak Travel Time: 6-7 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes via US-2. Drivers are expected to experience at least 30 minutes of delay at this time.
- Peak Travel Time: 3-4 p.m.
- Anticipated Drive Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes via I-5. Drivers are expected to experience at least 30 minutes of delay due to traffic at this time.
INRIX is one of the fastest growing big data technology companies in the world. The company leverages big data analytics to reduce the individual, economic and environmental toll of traffic congestion. Through cutting-edge data intelligence and predictive traffic technologies, INRIX helps leading automakers, fleets, governments and news organizations make it easier for drivers to navigate their world. Our vision is simple – to solve traffic, empower drivers, inform planning and enhance commerce.
Whether through an in-car or smartphone navigation application, a local newscast or our INRIX Traffic app, our up-to-the-minute traffic information and other driver services reach more than 150 million drivers to help them save time, fuel and frustration. INRIX delivers traffic and driving-related insight, as well as sophisticated analytical tools and services across six industries covering more than 4 million miles of road in 37 countries. For more information visit us at www.INRIX.com.