Secretary Cortés: Online voter registration approaches 100,000-user milestone

18 Feb, 2016, 11:23 ET from Pennsylvania Department of State

HARRISBURG, Pa., Feb. 18, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Secretary of State Pedro A. Cortés today announced that the state's online voter registration site has logged nearly 100,000 applications since its launch.

Governor Tom Wolf and Secretary Cortés announced the launch Thursday, Aug. 27, as the application site went live at register.votesPA.com.

"Since August, nearly 100,000 voters have discovered for themselves the ease and accessibility of online voter registration," Cortés said during a press conference at the Dauphin County Bureau of Registration and Elections. "At the same time, Pennsylvania's counties have gained more accurate voter rolls and realized savings in processing applications."

To date, more than 97,800 Pennsylvanians have taken advantage of the new technology. Approximately 60 percent of users have been eligible citizens registering for the first time, while the remaining 40 percent were voters making updates to their registration, such as a change of name, address or party affiliation.

Cortés reminded Pennsylvanians that March 28 is the deadline to register or update their record before the April 26 primary election. He urged eligible citizens to make use of the online voter registration site.

"This tool will help provide us with the most accurate voter rolls possible as we approach the primary election," Cortés said. "This is especially important with the volume of new registrations and updates that the counties process in a presidential election year."

Cortés was joined by Dauphin County Commissioner Mike Pries and Gerald D. Feaser Jr., Director of the Dauphin County Bureau of Registration and Elections.

Feaser said online voter registration has greatly reduced the amount of time his staff spends processing paper applications. It has also saved mailing costs, he added.

"We are mailing out fewer paper applications because when people call, we point them to the online registration site," Feaser said. "Given the fact that this is a presidential election year and we are this close to the registration deadline, we are very pleased with that part of the process."

The online system, which is available in English and Spanish, is more secure for applicants because the form is transmitted directly to the appropriate county voter registration office for processing. The latest protocols in data security have been built into the system and are constantly monitored and updated.

Because the online voter registration site is directly linked to PennDOT's Motor Voter system, if an applicant has a driver's license or PennDOT ID card, the signature already on file with PennDOT can immediately be linked to the voter record.

Applicants who do not have a driver's license or PennDOT ID card can print, sign and mail the completed online application to their county voter registration office. If they are not able to print the application, they may request that the Department of State mail them a signature card to complete and return to their county office.

To learn more about online voter registration, check the frequently asked questions at www.votesPA.com.

MEDIA CONTACT:   Wanda Murren, (717) 783-1621

 

SOURCE Pennsylvania Department of State



RELATED LINKS

http://www.votesPA.com