NEW YORK, March 29, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Development Counsellors International (DCI), a leading firm specialized in marketing places, released a report today on the use of Twitter by Mayors from the 250 largest U.S. cities. DCI analyzed Twitter activity of the group over a 60 day period to determine "The Tweet Elite: 25 Mayors Who Have Mastered Twitter."
Mayors that topped the list include:
- Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake – Baltimore, Maryland - @MayorSRB
- Mayor Muriel Bowser – Washington, District of Columbia - @MayorBowser
- Mayor William Peduto – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - @BillPeduto
- Mayor Jennifer Roberts – Charlotte, North Carolina - @CLTMayor
- Mayor Stephen K. Benjamin – Columbia, South Carolina - @SteveBenjaminSC
- Mayor Kasim Reed – Atlanta, Georgia - @KasimReed
- Mayor Francis Slay – St. Louis, Missouri - @MayorSlay
- Mayor Martin Walsh – Boston, Massachusetts - @Marty_Walsh
- Mayor Andy Berke – Chattanooga, Tennessee - @AndyBerke
- Mayor Robert Garcia – Long Beach, California - @RobertGarciaLB
Since launching in 2006 Twitter has developed into a highly-effective, low-cost communications tool in national and local elections. Elected officials have also embraced the microblogging site as a means of connecting directly with the public on a daily basis.
"Twitter has emerged as a powerful tool for mayors to interact with citizens on a daily basis and actively listen to views outside of their inner circle," says Andy Levine, President and Chief Creative Officer, DCI. "Our aim was to highlight the 'jedi masters' of this important communications tool."
DCI's research began by searching the Twitter accounts of mayors for the 250 largest cities in the U.S. The firm evaluated their Twitter activity over a 60 day period from
January 1-February 29, 2016. Each Mayor's activity was scored based on five categories of weighted importance:
- Audience (30%)...Number of Twitter followers divided by the city's population.
- Frequency (20%)...Average daily number of tweets communicated by each Mayor.
- Responsiveness (20%)...Average daily number of reply tweets communicated by each Mayor.
- Engagement (20%)...Average percentage of retweets/likes by each Mayor's followers.
- Influence (10%)...Number of other mayors (from the 250 largest U.S. cities) that follow a Mayor's Twitter account.
The report also measures the "top five" mayors in each of the individual ranking components: Audience, Frequency, Responsiveness, Engagement and Influence.
For your copy of "The Tweet Elite" visit: www.aboutdci.com/tweet-elite-25-mayors-mastered-twitter
About Development Counsellors International (DCI)
Development Counsellors International (DCI) is the leader in marketing places. Since 1960, we have worked with more than 450 cities, regions, provinces, states and countries, helping them attract both investors and visitors. DCI specializes exclusively in all phases of economic development and tourism marketing.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/selecting-the-tweet-elite-300242178.html
SOURCE Development Counsellors International