Sendmail Unveils First 'Rogue Email Application Control' Security and Compliance Solution for Enterprise Cloud Email Migration With Sentrion REAC, Enterprises Can Prevent Email Storms, Internal Denial-of-Service Attacks, and Reduce Security Risks Posed by Cloud Email Migrations
WASHINGTON, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sendmail today announced from its annual International Messaging Infrastructure Summit the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance designed to address the growing security, compliance and cloud migration threats posed by email-generating systems and applications in large and regulated organizations.
"It's become a matter of man vs. machine as enterprises begin contending with the growing security and compliance risks presented by the uncontrolled high volume of email messages being generated by applications inside enterprise walls," said Sendmail President & CEO Glen D. Vondrick. "Left unchecked, these machine-generated emails can result in the complete shut-down of IT networks at any time, though the potential for mayhem is at its highest during email-to-cloud migrations."
Sendmail estimates that more than half of all email messages within an enterprise originate from machines, not people. The problem of machine-generated email, years in the making, was highlighted in a recent survey conducted by Osterman Research. In it, nearly half of all large organizations report having at least 500 email-generating applications and systems, but without a proper assessment of messaging architecture, it's difficult for any IT organization to know how many more of the so-called rogue systems and apps exist. Such systems and apps can include customer care notification, ERP and billing, system monitoring utilities, and even copy machines.
Rogue and unmanaged email generating systems can cause:
- Errant applications creating email storm and internal DoS attacks on primary business email servers and DMZ systems
- Messages bypassing corporate policy enforcement systems, putting sensitive data at risk, including intellectual property, security/IT information and confidential documents
- Traffic spikes that hamper deliverability and business workflow of entire enterprise
- Security threats and risks posed by email-to-cloud migrations
"While under-reported, the threat that rogue email poses to large and regulated enterprise is a very real and potentially devastating one," said Michael Osterman, president of Osterman Research. "One way or another, organizations are urged to take stock of their email-generating applications and systems to minimize security, compliance and other risks as well as prevent disrupted communications and productivity down the line."
The new Sentrion REAC appliance runs on Sendmail's Sentrion Email Integration Platform, deployed by the majority of global Fortune 1000 organizations. REAC works by classifying, discovering and controlling the communication flow of all email-enabled application servers, reducing security risks, increasing value to individual lines-of-business, protecting brand reputation and reducing overall administrative costs. Sentrion REAC is the first commercial infrastructure solution that supports cloud-based email architectures by enabling enterprises to control and integrate on-premise machine-generated email with human mailboxes and email services that can be moved to the cloud, such as filtering and security solutions.
Sentrion REAC key features:
Classify & Discover
- Identifies messages as known application, known human, or known machine traffic
- Application owners may claim new apps discovered through statistical analysis of emails
- Provides proactive recommendations for control settings
- Web-based portal for application owners to register applications
- Define and tune message criteria for each application
- Configure alert notifications
- View statistics by app, client IP address, From address, recipient domain, and time
- Alert on abnormal/rogue application traffic
- Provides automated rate control, content policy settings on Sentrion via defined APIs
- Sets Access Control Lists and application throttling limits
- Automatically throttles rogue application traffic
Sentrion REAC is currently available for evaluation.
Sendmail simplifies business email complexity and reduces IT infrastructure costs for large enterprises. The company's solutions ensure global email connectivity, routing, and message delivery between people, systems, and applications located on-premises, in-cloud or on mobile devices. The Sentrion Email Integration Platform performs intelligent email policy and message inspection ensuring all critical communications and content are integrated with business policies, applications and processes. Sendmail is headquartered in Emeryville, CA with offices throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia. For more information, call 1-87-SENDMAIL or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sendmail Blog: www.sendmail.com/sm/blog/wik/
Follow @Sendmail on Twitter.