Who Is Gen Z?
Some demographers define Gen Z — also referred to as Centennials, Founders, iGen, or Plurals — as consumers born between 1995 and 2010. According to the U.S. Census, approximately 83 million Americans under 20 years of age, representing 25.9 percent of the U.S. population, make up Gen Z – who happen to also be the first generation born after the Internet age. Most distinctively, Gen Z is the most cross-cultural of all previous generations, with only 52.9 percent being non-Hispanic whites.
The "We are Gen Z" Report
Unveiled today are the initial two waves of the report – "We Are Now", which establishes a baseline of Gen Z through a cross-cultural lens; and "We Are Shoppers", which takes a closer look at motivators that drive purchase.
"We've all been aware of just how much this country is changing. With the current election, this conversation has been more in the forefront than ever before," says Jose Villa, founder and president of Sensis. "What better time than now to examine the generation that most represents this significant cultural shift. By putting Gen Z under a microscope, we can better see what's important for them to thrive, which is going to be important for all marketers to know as they work to innovate and evolve with a quickly changing consumer base."
Three key themes emerged from the first two waves of the report:
- Diversity – What it means to be cross-cultural no longer comes with the self-perception of being a minority. Rather it's embracing one's own culture and heritage with pride, while being open to others.
- 78 percent said they want to learn about new cultures, while 73 percent said they enjoy trying food from new cultures.
- Inclusion – Cross-cultural Gen Z got a significant boost from technology, especially social media, which has enabled them to participate – or perhaps, even lead conversations. This theme explores the dynamic between cross-cultural Gen Z and technology.
- 91 percent agree people should look out for each other. 60 percent agree social media is a useful platform for social change.
- Justice – Cross-cultural Gen Z is about action. They aren't merely talking about changing society and their world. They're doing it already as the rest of us marvel.
- 72 percent believe they can make a difference in the world.
Please visit WeAreGenZReport.com to request waves 1 and 2 of the report, as well as future waves – "We are Healthy", "We are Media Savvy" and "We are the Future" – to be released throughout 2016 and 2017.
About Sensis: Sensis is a cross-cultural marketing agency driving behavior change. Working beyond ethnic boxes, the agency creates useful, digitally relevant content to drive consumer action across cultures. Along with its integrated advertising core, Sensis offerings include specialty practices SensisHealth, SensisChallenges and SensisCMO. Agency clients include the FDA, Sempra Energy, AltaMed Health Services, Sony Pictures, UCLA Extension, CalOptima, United Healthcare, Union Bank, WorldRemit, Germania Insurance, the OC Fair, the CDC, the U.S. Air Force, Boston College, and the Army National Guard. For more information, visit SensisAgency.com.
About ThinkNow Research: ThinkNow Research is an award-winning culturally-integrated market research agency. We integrate Hispanic, African-American, and Asian insights into custom market research for companies and government agencies looking to thrive in a changing demographic environment.
ThinkNow Research also owns and operates one of the largest and most representative Hispanic online panels in the industry, DigaYGane.com, which is used to service our research as well as provide sample to the leading market research companies in the world.
ThinkNow Research is certified by the National Minority Supplier Development Council and approved by the Southern California Minority Business Development Council as a minority owned and managed company.
1 Multicultural total includes individuals of one or more ethnicities (e.g. Hispanic and White).
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
213.341.0171, ext. 750
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20161013/428485LOGO
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sensis-and-thinknow-research-unveil-groundbreaking-study-on-the-newest-emerging-market--cross-cultural-generation-z-300344526.html