Setting The Stage For An Abuse-Free Organization: The Hanover Insurance Group Offers Strategies For Screening Employees
WORCESTER, Mass., April 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Human services organizations and non-profits know that it is critical to screen perspective employees and volunteers to ensure that their employees, volunteers and clients are protected. But, with reports that national criminal databases have up to a 41 percent error rate, identifying potential offenders can be a challenge. As a result, human services and non-profit organizations need to be extremely thorough when screening prospective employees and volunteers. To help in that effort, The Hanover Insurance Group today offered several practical tips that these organizations can use.
"Human service organizations are always on the lookout for the brightest, most talented and highly qualified people to add to their teams," said Jack C. Roche, President, business insurance at The Hanover. "The best organizations make screening applicants a top priority."
Although there is no foolproof way to identify potential abusers, there are some proven ways for human services organizations to help minimize the risks in their hiring process.
- Screen everyone - Whether the hiring person knows candidates personally, whether they come highly recommended by well-respected employees, or even if they are related to the top management of the organization, anyone who will be associated with a human service agency needs to be thoroughly screened.
- Conduct background checks early on - A complete background check should be a part of the screening process to help prevent those convicted of abuse from receiving any offer of employment. It is important to have the candidate sign an authorization for the background check, before one is performed. Be aware that if the background check is conducted by a third-party vendor, your organization must comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act's pre-adverse and adverse notification requirements. Also, be sure to comply with all Federal, State and local laws on background checks.
- Be clear about your mission - Before a potential candidate even fills out an application, he or she should be given and asked to read the agency's policies on abuse, neglect and employee conduct. Upon hiring the candidate, have them sign a statement confirming that they fully understand those policies and that they will adhere to the policies at all times.
- Ask the right questions - Make sure that everyone involved in the interview process is formally trained on interview techniques for screening the potential candidate for abuse, (e.g., ask open ended questions, provide scenarios of potential incidents, etc.). Whenever possible try to have all candidates interview with multiple people. Any deviations or inconsistencies within the interviewing team should be seen as red flags that warrant follow-up.
- Check references – One of the best predictors of the future is the past. Reference checks provide critical information about candidates. Always seek verbal references, as written references are difficult to verify. Conversations can elicit much more information than written responses.
It is always recommended to work closely with a local independent insurance agent who has considerable experience working with human service agencies. These agents work with leading carriers, like the Hanover, that offer solid human services programs designed especially for the unique risks and exposures of the industry. Engaging with knowledgeable independent agents can often create more value for human services organizations.
For more information regarding screening employees or how The Hanover can help provide your organization with even more comprehensive safety information, please contact your independent insurance agent or visit www.hanover.com.
ABOUT THE HANOVER
Founded in 1852, The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG) is proud to be celebrating 160 years of delivering on its promises to its agent and broker partners, and their customers. The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc., based in Worcester, Mass., is the holding company for a group of insurers that includes The Hanover Insurance Company, Worcester, Mass., Citizens Insurance Company of America, Howell, Mich., Chaucer Holdings plc, London, and their affiliates. The Hanover offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to businesses, individuals, and families through a select group of agents and brokers. The company is ranked among the top 25 property and casualty insurers in the United States. Through Chaucer, the company also underwrites business at Lloyd's of London in several major insurance and reinsurance classes, including property, marine and aviation, energy, U.K. motor and casualty. For more information, please visit www.Hanover.com.
The recommendation(s), advice and contents of this material are provided for informational purposes only and do not purport to address every possible legal obligation, hazard, code violation, loss potential or exception to good practice. The Hanover Insurance Company and its affiliates and subsidiaries ("The Hanover") specifically disclaim any warranty or representation that acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein will make any premises, property or operation safe or in compliance with any law or regulation. Under no circumstances should this material or your acceptance of any recommendations or advice contained herein be construed as establishing the existence or availability of any insurance coverage with The Hanover. By providing this information to you, The Hanover does not assume (and specifically disclaims) any duty, undertaking or responsibility to you. The decision to accept or implement any recommendation(s) or advice contained in this material must be made by you.
SOURCE The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc.
More by this Source
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. Increases Quarterly Dividend To $0.37 Per Common Share
Dec 06, 2013, 11:36 ET
As Holiday Shopping Rises, So Does Threat Of Identity Theft
Nov 25, 2013, 10:26 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.