Seven Chicago Area Service Projects Top Off Changing Tomorrow Day at Astellas More than 500 Astellas Employees Tackle Improvement Projects as Part of Company's Commitment to Service
DEERFIELD, Ill., Sept. 23, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 500 employees from Astellas Pharma US, Inc. (Astellas Pharma US), a U.S. subsidiary of Tokyo-based Astellas Pharma Inc. (Astellas) will fan out from company headquarters in Deerfield on Friday, Sept. 23, to tackle seven service projects in the City of Chicago and Lake County as part of the pharmaceutical company's annual Changing Tomorrow Day corporate service commitment. They join more than 600 other Astellas employees who have completed projects in Canada, Brazil and throughout the US.
"We consider every community where we are located a part of our home," said Masao Yoshida, President and CEO Of Astellas Pharma US. "At Astellas, we have a corporate commitment to making and keeping our home a beautiful and nurturing environment for all who live here."
Partnering with Chicago Cares, a 20-year-old organization that matches volunteers with service projects, local Astellas Pharma US employees will:
- Lead a sports-themed event at Whittier Elementary School in Waukegan to help students learn how to live healthier lives and transform the interior space
- Create a fitness trail and community garden at the One Hope United Lake Villa Campus in Lake Villa
- Build benches, storage areas, paint murals and beautify the grounds of the Lake County Public Action to Deliver Shelter Family Center in Waukegan
- Work with Head Start students on healthy living activities and assist seniors in planting bulbs and preparing a garden for winter at the Howard Area Community Center in Chicago's Rogers Park
- Expand the food pantry, paint and create murals at the Marquard Center in Chicago's West Town neighborhood
- Paint lockers, stairwells and create murals at Dewitt Clinton Elementary School in West Rogers Park
"Partnering with Astellas Pharma US is exciting because of their deep commitment to service," said Bridget Altenburg, Executive Director of Chicago Cares. "The strong ethic of volunteering that their employees bring to the table allows us to create a wide variety of service opportunities, meeting the needs of thousands in Chicago and Lake County."
Astellas employees in Canada, Brazil and across the United States will also be celebrating Changing Tomorrow Day through the following projects.
- Planting trees and eradicating invasive species in the Toronto suburb of Markham
- Assembling food hampers at the Vancouver Food Bank
- Preparing and serving lunch for the homeless at L'Accueil Bonneau in Montreal
- Installing new flooring at Centro de Apoio a Crianca Carente com Cancer in Sao Paulo
- Assisting with projects and preparing food at the Ronald McDonald Houses in Durham, NC and Long Island, NY
- Gardening and general clean up at Haven Family Shelter in Redwood City, CA
- Volunteering with the United Way at their annual Day of Caring in Norman, OK
- Cooking and delivering nutritious meals for the Project Angel Food and volunteering with the Stop Cancer at their Annual Stop Cancer Run/Walk in Santa Monica, CA
Astellas Pharma US is committed to being a company that is known for its corporate citizenship. Volunteerism is entrenched in the Astellas culture and the company has created the StarGIVING program to help employees increase the impact of their own charitable giving. In fact, each full-time Astellas employee is given up to five days paid time off to provide volunteer support to charitable organizations. Astellas also matches, dollar for dollar, employee contributions made to the American Red Cross of Greater Chicago, Habitat for Humanity, American Cancer Society and Starlight Children's Foundation Midwest.
The Astellas culture and brand is committed to building community, helping others, encouraging integrity and inspiring people to make a difference, today, tomorrow and every day. Astellas Pharma US, Inc., located in Deerfield, Illinois, is a U.S. subsidiary of Tokyo-based Astellas Pharma Inc. Astellas is a pharmaceutical company dedicated to improving the health of people around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products. The organization is committed to becoming a global category leader in focused areas by combining outstanding R&D and marketing capabilities. For more information about Astellas Pharma US, Inc., please visit our website at www.astellas.us or follow us on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/AstellasUS.
Celebrating 20 years of service, Chicago Cares is a non-profit organization that engages thousands in service to meet Chicago's critical needs, creating group programs where volunteers learn about issues in their community and play an active role in addressing them. Chicago Cares develops more than 215 original group volunteer projects each month serving children, adults and seniors in need, as well as the environment. Through volunteer service, Chicago Cares educates, enables and inspires people to make Chicago a better community for everyone. Chicago Cares is an affiliate of HandsOn Network. For more information, please visit www.chicagocares.org or www.Twitter.com/ChicagoCares.
SOURCE Astellas Pharma US, Inc.