WASHINGTON, May 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) announces 10 finalists for its Innovation Incubator Program. Participating organizations will be highlighted at the 2011 Ed Tech Industry Summit, beginning with the Business Profiles presentations on May 23 and followed by the Innovation Showcase & Networking Reception. During the event, they will receive industry-wide recognition, peer-to-peer mentorship, and access to hand-selected prospects for partnership, acquisition, financing and veteran advice.
Thirty-five applicants were assessed on a broad range of criteria, including the degree to which their innovation offers flexible anytime/everywhere learning, project-based/authentic learning, adaptive mastery/competency-based progression or pace, and other characteristics of a student-driven, personalized learning solution.
"Our 10 finalists have developed innovative solutions that truly address personalized learning," said Karen Billings, vice president of SIIA's Education Division. "I'm eager to see how these organizations leverage their participation in the Innovation Incubator Program to further enhance their products and services for the education technology market."
- Cabanga – Online program that helps kids apply math concepts for business and financial literacy using an adaptive curriculum, instructional coaching, Spanish toggle, and progress tracking against national, common core, and state standards.
- Coursification – Adaptive learning platform that enables publishers and education institutions to transform print and digital learning assets into fully personalized, online courses.
- Dynamic Whiteboard – Multimedia instructional platform that allows teachers to deliver instruction based on their students' skill level, helps students acquire new skills at their own pace, and provides actionable testing and reporting capabilities.
- GiftedSpeech – Software solution that assists children in attaining multi-language proficiency by preparing children to speak any language with an authentic accent.
- GoKnow – Mobile learning platform that leverages existing curricula, third-party content and apps, mobile devices, wireless networks, and cloud infrastructure to put a portable, digital workspace in the hands of every student.
- McGraw-Hill Spark! – Suite of online courses that incorporates research-based content along with skill-based games, a self-contained social network, customizable lesson planning, a learning management system, and on-demand professional development to encourage student collaboration and exploration.
- myON reader – Personalized literacy environment that matches students to more than 1,100 online digital books with reading scaffolds based on interests and reading level.
- Neurocognitive Training for Reading Comprehension – Wearable neurocognitive training technology that builds the cognitive skills that undergird learning, including attention, working memory, and reflective processing.
- Sokikom – Math social learning game that connects multiplayer online game play with NCTM focal points and Common Core State Standards to motivates elementary students.
- Wowzers – Multiplayer educational virtual world that supplements and replaces textbooks with adaptive content for 3rd - 5th grade math, aligned to state and national standards and built around data-driven analytics.
- Pay-Per-Result at Learn That World – A complement to other personalized learning solutions, this application allows users to pay only for measured learning results in an otherwise free program, providing assurance of ROI.
The 10 finalists will vie for recognition as "The Most Innovative" and "The Most Likely to Succeed" in the ed tech market. Additionally, lead Innovation Incubator Sponsor, Blackboard Inc., (Blackboard), will award one finalist with a complementary year-long membership in the company's Partnership Program.
"We're proud to sponsor a program that values and honors developers of up-and-coming solutions made to foster student learning and achievement," said Ted Hopper, Sr. Director, Business Development at Blackboard. "We look forward to welcoming the Innovation Incubator winner into our Partnership Program."
For more information regarding the Ed Tech Industry Summit, or to register to attend, please visit www.edtechindustrysummit.net. Media and bloggers interested in attending the conference should complete the online press registration form, or contact Laura Greenback at email@example.com to apply for press credentials.
The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) is the principal trade association for the software and digital content industry. SIIA provides global services in government relations, business development, corporate education and intellectual property protection to more than 500 leading software and information companies. The SIIA Education Division serves and represents more than 150 member companies that provide software, digital content and other technologies that address educational needs. The Division shapes and supports the industry by providing leadership, advocacy, business development opportunities and critical market information. For more information, visit www.siia.net/education.
About Blackboard Inc.
Blackboard Inc. is a global leader in enterprise technology and innovative solutions that improve the experience of millions of students and learners around the world every day. Blackboard's solutions allow thousands of higher education, K-12, professional, corporate, and government organizations to extend teaching and learning online, facilitate campus commerce and security, and communicate more effectively with their communities. Founded in 1997, Blackboard is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with offices in North America, Europe, Asia and Australia.
Blackboard, Blackboard Building Blocks and Blackboard Learn are the trademarks or registered trademarks of Blackboard Inc. All rights reserved.
SOURCE Software & Information Industry Association