WASHINGTON, April 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Silent Circle, the global encrypted communications firm revolutionizing mobile security for organizations and individuals alike, today announced the availability of the company's new Silent Mail e-mail encryption service. Included as an additional benefit for Silent Circle's Silent Phone and Silent Text subscribers, Silent Mail extends encryption protection to e-mail, offering a user-friendly solution seamlessly enhancing security and privacy through popular e-mail client software across PCs and mobile devices supporting these applications.
Silent Mail addresses longstanding problems with e-mail encryption: Obtaining and managing encryption keys required for exchanging encrypted e-mails and ensuring that encryption is consistently enabled for certain types of messages. Because encryption is applied to every message sent through Silent Mail, the service eliminates human error and helpfully enforces an encryption policy by giving users a designated e-mail account for sensitive communications.
With Silent Mail, subscribers receive:
- A unique "[username]@silentcircle.com" e-mail address and up to 1 GB encrypted mailbox space
- Plug-and-play setup with any e-mail client supporting SMTP, POP3 or IMAP
- Interoperability with other encrypted e-mail users' systems based on Silent Mail or other solutions
- Encryption protection provided by PGP Universal
- Flexible encryption options: Users can manage their own PGP keys or Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) certificates for maximum e-mail security, or choose the convenience of having Silent Circle provide and manage mail encryption keys on the company's servers
"Using encrypted e-mail has historically been complex and cumbersome for users outside of large enterprises with dedicated IT staffs and their own encryption servers. Silent Mail relieves encryption burdens and complexity for our customers and – most importantly – provides a go-to account for sensitive communications that is always encrypted by default," said Silent Circle CTO and creator of PGP Universal, Jon Callas. "We developed Silent Mail in response to customer demands for a more secure and protected alternative to free e-mail services and others that are not secure by design, that also complements our different, peer-to-peer encrypted mobile apps."
Silent Mail offers choices between convenience and maximum security, according to subscribers' requirements. Those preferring ease-of-use and convenience can have Silent Circle supply and manage their Silent Mail encryption keys server-side, similar to IT departments' role in large organizations, which completely unburdens the user from even having to think about encryption when they communicate via Silent Mail. However, the service also supports those subscribers who are willing to accept the burden of managing their own keys in return for the highest degree of security technically possible (in this option, Silent Circle does not have access to encryption keys while routing users' encrypted messages).
Regardless of whether users choose convenience or security in key management, Silent Mail enforces encryption protection that maximizes e-mail security and privacy. Silent Mail is part of Silent Circle's "Silent Suite" of apps and services available for a $20 per month subscription fee. More information is available at https://silentcircle.com/web/silent-suite/.
About Silent Circle's "Silent Suite" of encrypted communication tools:
- Silent Phone: Encrypted voice and video calls on mobile devices. Currently available for iOS and Android, it can be used with Wi-Fi, EDGE, 3G or 4G cellular anywhere in the world.
- Silent Text: Encrypted text messaging with attachments and "Burn Notice" feature for permanently deleting messages from device registries. Currently available for iOS with Android version under development.
- Silent Mail: Encrypted e-mail on Silent Circle's private, secure network through unique silentcircle.com e-mail accounts with up to 1 Gigabyte (GB) of encrypted mailbox space. Compatible with popular e-mail client software.
- Silent Eyes: Encrypted video and voice teleconferencing from laptops and business conference systems through Silent Circle's custom HD network. Compatible with Silent Phone. Currently available for Windows.
ABOUT SILENT CIRCLE
Silent Circle is a global encrypted communications service headquartered in Washington D.C. that provides cutting-edge encrypted text, e-mail, mobile phone and video teleconferencing services through a secure, proprietary network, software and mobile apps. Silent Circle was co-founded by Mike Janke, former Navy SEAL and best-selling author, and Phil Zimmermann, the world famous Silicon Valley creator of Internet encryption for voice and data and 2012 inductee into the Internet Hall of Fame. For more on Silent Circle, go to: https://www.silentcircle.com
Welz & Weisel Communications
SOURCE Silent Circle