Singapore Media Companies Announce Content Deals at MIPCOM 2012
SINGAPORE, Oct. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA) has led a delegation of 20 companies to MIPCOM 2012, marking Singapore's 12th expedition to one of the world's largest audiovisual and digital content market. Held in Cannes from 8 - 11 October 2012, the event has attracted over 12,000 participants from over 100 countries.
A total of 55 programme titles were offered for international sale and distribution at MIPCOM 2012, covering more than 300 hours of factual, drama and animation content.
Compared to MIPCOM 2011, participation rate of Singapore companies has increased 18% this year, including a good mix of TV production companies, animation companies, and content distribution companies.
ANNOUNCEMENTS AT MIPCOM 2012:
1. M2B announces launch of WOWtv Apps, available on Samsung Smart TVs and Samsung GALAXY devices in 130 countries
- Singapore-based M2B (M2B World Asia Pacific) has signed a technological partnership with Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in digital convergence technologies, for both companies to use M2B's WOWtv platform to distribute rich media and entertainment content to over 130 countries worldwide.
- M2B will provide rich media and entertainment content for Samsung's 2011 and 2012 Smart TV models and Samsung GALAXY devices. Users will be able to enjoy a broad range of entertainment content both at home and on the go, by downloading the WOWtv app through Samsung Apps on Samsung Smart TVs and mobile devices.
- M2B is a subsidiary of Amaru Inc, USA, and one of Asia's leading broadband content provider. It owns unparalleled perpetual worldwide rights for over 5,000 movie titles across all platforms, as well as sole distribution rights for the world-renowned Videofashion label for the Asia Pacific region, making WOWtv the only platform in the region that viewers can catch the various channels and programs produced by Videofashion.
- Beyond the myriad of movies available for selection, WOWtv also has the latest in Hollywood entertainment news that is refreshed daily.
2. Bomanbridge Media Singapore introduces Angel's Gate, the world's first transmedia business reality format, to Finland
- Bomanbridge Media Singapore, a boutique distribution company, has signed a deal with Intervisio, a leading Finnish production company, for Angel's Gate, the world's first transmedia business reality format. Leveraging Intervisio's speciality of combining cross-media platforms such as TV, online and mobile communities, Bomanbridge Media will introduce the successful Angel's Gate format to Finland, with production expected to begin in early 2013.
- Backed by Asia's leading venture funds, Angel's Gate is a unique 360-degree, multimedia programme which gives entrepreneurs the opportunity of a lifetime to pitch their dream business ideas to some of Asia's most successful investors.
- The original format was aired in Singapore on the regional broadcast network Channel News Asia and was viewed globally via YouTube, achieving over 2 million views as YouTube's first local content partner. http://www.youtube.com/user/angelsgate?feature=results_main
3. Monstrou Studio Singapore announces USD$5 million animation co-production deal with Spanish production house Sweatbox and Televisio de Catalunya
- In what is the first international co-production between Singapore and Spanish animation companies, Singapore's Monstrou Studio, award-winning Spanish company Sweatbox and Catalan TV network Televisio de Catalunya will co-produce Nightbreeds, a 26-episode 3D action-adventure cartoon series targeted at children aged 9 - 12.
- Nightbreeds tells the story of an unlikely coalition between a human boy and a vampire girl in their quest to defeat Thelonious, a sinister vampire from a rival clan who tries to wreak havoc by breaking up the truce between humans and vampires. It is a tale of survival against all odds in a world where humans and creatures of the night must learn to co-exist, promoting values such as bravery, loyalty and teamwork.
- The animated series is scheduled to be aired on Televisio de Catalunya (TV3) at the end of 2014, leveraging Monstrou Studio's unique Vicon Motion Capture system technology facility (MoCap) and Sweatbox's wealth of experience from its earlier successes, including the international, award-winning TV animated feature Talma and the Myth of Agartha and the Academy Award®-nominated animated feature Chico & Rita.
4. August Media Holdings announces co-production and worldwide distribution agreement for Ella Bella Bingo
- Global media group August Media Holdings has concluded an agreement with Kool Produktion (Norway) to co-produce the second series of animated pre-school series Ella Bella Bingo.
- In a separate deal, August Media Holdings' newly launched distribution arm August Rights will handle international sales for series 1 and 2 of the show with Kool Produktion responsible for all Scandinavian rights.
- August Media Holdings' subsidiary, Red Kite Animation will oversee the development and production of the second series of Ella Bella Bingo in Singapore and Edinburgh. The show is being given a new improved look and August Media is expecting to finalise the animation studio in Singapore in the coming weeks.
- Ella Bella Bingo is about charismatic, creative Ella, and the playful kids and eccentric adults in her life. It's a warm, humorous, high-energy mix of fun and laughter with a uniquely child-like visual style.
- Targeting 3 to 5 year olds, the 2D flash animated series has been commissioned for Norwegian broadcaster NRK.
- Due to start production in October 2012, the series is set to launch in winter 2013.
5. Asian Food Channel (AFC) launches eight new productions at MIPCOM, adding to its stable of more than 70 hours of high-quality, Asian food and lifestyle programming
- 36 Ways To Live features award-winning, Asian-based Chef Emmanuel Stroobant who, inspired by his Belgian heritage and love for healthy and nutritious foods, cooks up 36 recipes that have had an impact on his life - from restaurant-quality dishes to home cuisine.
- Back To The Streets is a travelogue hosted by Chef Malcolm Goh and Tham Zher
- Peen as they tap into the trend for authentic street food. Going undercover, they explore the culinary scene on the streets of Kuala Lumpur, searching out the best eats to recreate with a contemporary twist in their kitchen.
- The Boss 2 will showcase well-loved American-born Filipino chef, Bruce Lim, as he whips up his favourite Western dishes, infused with unique Filipino flavours and influences.
- The Big Break follows the success of AFC's first fully produced, original reality production, The Search For AFC's Next Celebrity Chef, and is a reality show that travels to six different countries in Asia in search of 12 underprivileged youths, offering them an opportunity to transform their lives through cooking. The aspiring chefs are whisked away to Singapore and put through a series of lessons and challenges with some of the culinary industry's most respected chefs and hospitality professionals.
6. One Animation and Zodiak Kids The Foundation sign Memorandum of Understanding
- The Foundation, Zodiak Kids UK production company, and Singapore-based animation production studio One Animation, announced they would begin development on a 3-project slate of children's animated television content beginning late 2012.
- Singapore-based One Animation is a content provider and financier specialising in high-end CGI Animation for Film and Television. It has co-produced the popular Rob The Robot CG-animated series with Canada's Amberwood Entertainment. The series has been sold to over 77 countries, with the second season under production.
About Media Development Authority of Singapore (MDA)
The Media Development Authority of Singapore (www.mda.gov.sg) promotes the growth of globally competitive film, television, radio, publishing, music, games, animation and interactive digital media industries. It also regulates the media sector to safeguard the interests of consumers, and promotes a connected society. MDA is a statutory board under the Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (www.mica.gov.sg).
SOURCE Media Development Authority of Singapore