Single-Phase Energy-Measurement Processors Accurately Monitor Power at a Fraction of the Cost
Fully autonomous processors add simple, utility-grade energy measurement and diagnostics to existing designs.
SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that it is now sampling the 78M6610+PSU/78M6610+LMU single-phase energy-measurement processors. These processors are an energy-measurement subsystem in a single chip. They provide simple utility-grade sensing and diagnostics for existing designs without the traditional cost of a utility meter system-on-chip. Both devices contain unique firmware to meet end application requirements. The 78M6610+PSU is specifically designed for real-time monitoring of data centers, servers, and telecom and data equipment, while the 78M6610+LMU is a more general-purpose solution for applications such as white-good appliances, smart plugs, EV chargers, and solar inverters.
The 78M6610 processors enable energy-measurement functionality while reducing both manufacturing costs and time to market. Energy-measurement solutions traditionally required the use of an additional microcontroller, which adds significant design cost and months of development time. The 78M6610 allow users to conveniently add a complete energy meter to an already existing design without significant cost or redesign. Additionally, the processors' flexible measurement and host interfaces allow for easy integration into any system.
- High performance: utility-grade sensing over the entire dynamic range of load current and power-down modes.
- Reduced bill of materials (BOM) costs: internal RC oscillator and low baud rate serial interface eliminate the need for expensive and fragile crystals.
- Simplicity: firmware is optimized for end applications so design-in is greatly simplified.
- "A more efficient smart grid needs energy measurement at a variety of endpoints beyond the traditional electric meter," said Kris Ardis, Business Director for Smart Grid Products at Maxim Integrated. "The 78M6610+PSU/78M6610+LMU enable these points of measurement with utility-grade accuracy, application-specific firmware, and at a low system cost."
- "The smart grid benefits from embedded technologies like these processors," said Christine Hertzog, Managing Director at Smart Grid Library. "They reduce BOM costs and encourage more widespread deployment of energy-measurement intelligence across the electricity value chain."
Availability and Pricing
- The 78M6610+PSU is available in a 24-pin QFN and 16-pin TSSOP package.
- The 78M6610+LMU is available in a 24-pin QFN package.
- The 78M6610+PSU/78M6610+LMU pricing starts at $1.99 (1000-up, FOB USA).
About Maxim Integrated
At Maxim Integrated, we put analog together in a way that sets our customers apart. In Fiscal 2012, we reported revenues of $2.4 billion.
SOURCE Maxim Integrated Products, Inc.
More by this Source
Achieve High Energy-Measurement Accuracy with Highly Integrated Single-Phase Metering SoC
Apr 14, 2014, 09:00 ET
Maxim Schedules Conference Call For Fiscal 2014 Third Quarter Financial Results
Apr 03, 2014, 16:00 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.