Small Fruit, Big Day: 10 Reasons to Celebrate National Raisin Day - April 30!
FRESNO, Calif., April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Have you heard through the grapevine? National Raisin Day is just around the corner on April 30! As a delicious and naturally sweet addition to favorite recipes and snacks, California Raisins are an all-time classic in lunch boxes, gym bags and grocery carts across the nation. Here are 10 of our favorite reasons to love this all-natural, dried-by-the-sun, small – but mighty – fruit.
- On-Screen Stars. How many wholesome, healthy snacks can claim an Emmy nomination? Introduced in 1984, the California Dancing Raisins starred in an Emmy-nominated 1989 TV special, Meet the Raisins. The dancing raisins were officially named: Ben Indasun, Justin X. Grape and Tiny Goodbite.
- Fill Your Tank with the Good Stuff! California Raisins come by their sweetness naturally. Because raisins contain no added sugar, the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food-A-Pedia website shows that a serving of the fruit contributes no empty calories.1
- California Dreamin'. California is the raisin capital of the world and almost all California Raisins are grown within a 60-mile radius of Fresno – in California's sun-drenched San Joaquin Valley.
- Budget-Friendly Fruit. The USDA ranks raisins as the most economical dried fruit, making raisins the most budget-friendly dried fruit of them all!
- Year-Round Goodness. Perfectly portable, California Raisins don't spoil, bruise or need refrigeration. They are available January – December and always ready to munch on as a travel snack or an on-the-go, naturally sweet treat!
- Mighty Good for You. California Raisins are the small fruit with big nutrition! According to the nutrition facts label, a quarter cup serving of raisins has nine percent of your daily value of fiber and potassium and six percent of your daily value of iron. Plus, just a quarter cup of raisins is a serving of fruit.
- All-Natural Nibble. Their ingredient list says it all: raisins. California Raisins have no cholesterol, no fat and no added sugar.
- Fruit-tastic! Raisins proudly carry the Produce for Better Health Foundation's Fruit & Veggies—More Matters logo because they are 100% fruit.2
- Heart Smart. Even sweeter news – a recent study3 presented at the American College of Cardiology's 61st Annual Scientific Session suggests eating raisins three times a day may significantly lower the mean value of post-meal systolic blood pressure among individuals with prehypertension when compared to consuming popular, pre-packaged non-fruit snacks.
- All-Around Awesome. Last but not least, exceptionally versatile, California Raisins add delicious, one-of-a-kind flavor to both sweet and savory recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time too!
Inspired and ready to learn more? Please visit www.loveyourraisins.com for the latest research and hundreds of tasty raisin recipes.
About the California Raisin Marketing Board
A State Marketing Order in 1998 created the 100-percent grower-funded California Raisin Marketing Board. Its mission is to support and promote the increased use of California-grown raisins and sponsor crop production, nutrition and market research. For more information about the California Raisin Marketing Board and to browse delicious recipes, visit www.loveyourraisins.com.
1 USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. (2012). Food-A-Pedia SuperTracker. Retrieved from www.choosemyplate.gov/SuperTracker.
2 Produce for Better Health Foundation. (2012). Fruits & Veggies—More Matters Brand Guidelines. Retrieved from http://www.pbhfoundation.org/pdfs/licensing/gra/fvmm/2012_Brand_Guidelines.pdf
3 Bays, H., et. al. Raisins and Blood Pressure: A Randomized, Controlled Trial. Poster session presented at: American College of Cardiology's 61st Annual Scientific Session; 2012 March 24-27; Chicago, IL.
SOURCE California Raisin Marketing Board
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.