FRAMINGHAM, Mass., July 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- From backyard barbecues to a day at the beach to a night of fireworks, people across the U.S. are ready to enjoy their favorite summer pastimes. However, whether it's exposure to the sun's rays, water hazards or grilling and fire risks, these activities do pose dangers. With this in mind, the experts from Rave Mobile Safety, creators of the acclaimed public safety service Smart911, are kicking off the season by offering a free eBook with tips to help families ensure their summer fun stays safe.
"5 Smart Tips for a Safe Summer" is now available for download. The eBook provides information and advice on such important topics as:
- Grilling Safety: The National Fire Protection Association reports an average of 7,900 home fires that involve grilling occur each year, but there are some simple ways to prevent these accidents.
- Fireworks Safety: According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, over a 30 day period during the summer of 2010, fireworks sent about 1,900 people to emergency rooms. With proper precaution and adult supervision, all members of a family can safely enjoy the fun.
- Sun Safety: Includes recommendations for Sun Protection Factor (SPF) by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as effective use of sunscreen to prevent over-exposure.
- Water Safety: Offers advice on flotation devices, swimming skills, as well as a look at the dangerous "too's" – what they are and how to avoid them.
- Family Safety: Summer outings often include new places and acquaintances but parents can take a few simple steps to help children avoid the potential dangers of unfamiliar faces and locations.
More ways to enhance summer safety can be found at the Smart911 Blog, "How to Ensure Summer Fun Stays Safe," which includes some valuable added pointers for biking safety.
Still, emergencies can happen, so citizens are encouraged to sign up for Smart911 to help increase their summer safety. Smart911 allows citizens to create a free Safety Profile for their household that includes any information they want 9-1-1 and emergency responders to have in the event of an emergency. If a family member has an emergency and calls 9-1-1, their Safety Profile is automatically displayed to the call taker, allowing them to send the right response teams to the right location with the right information.
"Summer activities offer a lot of fun, but at the same time, it's a very busy period for 9-1-1 and emergency responders," said Tom Axbey, CEO of Rave Mobile Safety. "This eBook provides information that can prevent problems and ensure safe summer fun. Also, by joining Smart911, individuals and families can help emergency responders to better help them and avert unnecessary tragedy."
Introduced nearly three years ago by Rave Mobile Safety, the trusted software partner for campus and public safety, Smart911 has been adopted in 31 states and more than 350 municipalities. It has been credited with positively impacting emergency situations across the U.S., including a missing child case in Arkansas, and saving lives, such as a heart attack victim in Nashville.
About Rave Mobile Safety
Rave Mobile Safety is the most trusted software partner for campus and public safety. Used by leading institutes of higher education and state and local agencies, the award-winning portfolio of Rave SafeCampus, Rave Alert, Rave Guardian, Eyewitness, Smart911 and SmartPrepare enables millions to feel safe, secure and connected. Rave Mobile Safety is headquartered in Framingham, MA. For more information, please visit http://www.ravemobilesafety.com.
Davies Murphy Group
Public Relations for Rave Mobile Safety
SOURCE Rave Mobile Safety