DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 3, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- SME has recognized seven professionals from industry and academia with its 2016 International Honor Awards. SME serves the manufacturing industry by promoting advanced manufacturing technology and developing a skilled workforce. Honorees will receive their awards during SME's International Honor Award & Scholarship Presentations Ceremony May 15 in Orlando, Florida.
SME International Honor Award winners are recognized for their significant contributions in the areas of manufacturing technologies, processes, technical writing, education, research and management, and service to SME.
"This year's International Honor Award winners include leaders in aerospace, advanced manufacturing and academia. Their influence and impact on manufacturing and industry is profound and indelible," said SME CEO Jeff Krause. "They're accomplished professionals and impressive individuals. We're very pleased to recognize them."
2016 International Honor Award honorees (with links to biographies and photos) are listed below:
- Patrick M. "Pat" Shanahan, The Boeing Company, Seattle: Eli Whitney Productivity Award Recognized for driving efficiency throughout the business.
- Peter F. Mackie, Wells Fargo Advisors, Frontenac Branch, St. Louis: Joseph A. Siegel Service Award
Recognized for leadership in financial and organizational direction.
- George A. Hazelrigg, PhD, National Science Foundation, Arlington, Virginia: SME Donald C. Burnham Manufacturing Management Award
Honored for significant efforts promoting manufacturing research.
- Jian Cao, PhD, FSME, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois: SME Frederick W. Taylor Research Medal
Recognized for leading research on innovative processing of sheet metals and woven composites.
- Joseph J. Beaman Jr., ScD, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas: SME Albert M. Sargent Progress Award
Recognized for pioneering research and leadership in additive manufacturing.
- Placid M. Ferreira, PhD, FSME, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois: SME Education Award
Honored for impact and leadership in education, curriculum development and student mentorship.
- Serope Kalpakjian, PhD, FSME, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago: SME Gold Medal
Honored for sustained commitment and leadership in education and research.
SME connects all those who are passionate about making things that improve our world. As a nonprofit organization, SME has served practitioners, companies, educators, government and communities across the manufacturing spectrum for more than 80 years. Through its strategic areas of events, media, membership, training and development, and the SME Education Foundation, SME is uniquely dedicated to the advancement of manufacturing by addressing both knowledge and skills needed for the industry. Follow @SME_MFG on Twitter or facebook.com/SMEmfg.