WASHINGTON, Sept. 12, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- car2go, the largest, fastest-growing carsharing company in the world, announced that its Washington, D.C. area's 57,000-plus car2go members can now enjoy making trips in new, more advanced car2go vehicles.
Rolling out today in Washington, D.C. and Arlington County, the new vehicles deliver a smoother, faster and improved experience with the latest car2go technology. car2go's D.C. fleet of 800 vehicles is the largest in the U.S., and the company will continue to upgrade its fleet through the end of the year.
"We're excited car2go members in the D.C. area will be the first in the U.S. to experience the new car2go," said Aaron Landry, General Manager of car2go D.C. "The new car2go is fully upgraded, lets you start and end trips faster, and is still small enough to fit into parking spaces no other car fits in. car2go members start and end a trip directly from their smartphone, which powers a faster, better experience. Members can also listen to music from their smartphone, make hands-free calls, and stay warm with heated seats during the winter."
What's NEW about the new car2go?
Better. Faster. Smarter. Perfect adjectives for our new car2go:
- Unlocks in about five seconds, enabling members to quickly hop in and drive away.
- Bluetooth access allows drivers and passengers to rock out to their own music and make hands-free calls.
- Seat warmers ensure car2go members can warm themselves up quickly on chilly days.
- The new car2go is wider, providing drivers and passengers with a roomier interior and additional trunk storage space.
- A more powerful motor and a new six-speed twinamic dual-clutch transmission provide the smoothest, quickest car2go ride ever.
- An incredibly small turning radius means the new car2go can almost literally turn on a dime.
- Cutting-edge safety features in the new smart fortwo car2go include a rigid Tridion safety shell made of ultra-high strength steel, crosswind assist that automatically compensates for strong gusts of wind to keep drivers on-course, anti-lock brakes, electronic stability (known as ESP® in most cars), and airbags for drivers and passengers.
The new cars will appear in the car2go app as the "fortwo new," with a photo of the newly designed vehicle so that car2go members can easily find and drive the new cars. Prior generation vehicles will appear in the car2go app as "fortwo."
One-way carsharing with car2go up sharply since SafeTrack surge repairs began
The ability for car2go members to start and end their trips between D.C. and Arlington became legal just a few weeks prior to the beginning of SafeTrack surges. Since then, car2go has seen a 540 percent increase in the average number of trips beginning or ending in Arlington, a 22 percent jump in overall car2go trips in the region, and a 63 percent increase in average weekly memberships. car2go membership in Arlington and D.C. has passed the 57,000 member mark, making it one of the largest in North America.
New UC Berkeley research reveals how one-way carsharing is benefiting D.C.'s quality of life
The District of Columbia figured prominently in the first-ever one-way carsharing impact study conducted in North America. The research, released by UC Berkeley's Transportation Sustainability Research Center in July, revealed car2go removes vehicles from the road, reduces miles traveled and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- For each car2go vehicle, an estimated seven vehicles were removed from D.C. roads; more than 4,600 vehicles total in 2015 alone.
- In 2015, car2go reduced overall vehicle miles traveled (VMT) by D.C. area residents by up to an estimated 21.3 million miles.
- Each car2go vehicle in D.C. eliminated up to 10 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions, preventing up to an estimated 6,500 metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions from polluting the air.
Lower pricing for all and free registration + free drive time for new Arlington, D.C. members
To give members a chance to get a feel for the new car2gos, and make the most of the final days of summer, car2go is offering lower prices for a limited time. Members can hop in any car2go smart car for just $10.00 an hour (regularly $14.99) or $50.00 per day (regularly $84.99).
Residents interested in taking a spin in the new car2go can use the promo code NEWCAR2GO for free registration (regularly $35) and $5 dollar credit of free drive time through September 30, 2016. Members are encouraged to keep up to date on all the latest member events and promotions by following @car2goDC on Twitter and connecting with car2go on Facebook.
About car2go N.A. LLC
car2go N.A., LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler North America Corporation, offers an innovative mobility solution in rapidly growing urban areas via a carsharing network of eco-friendly smart fortwo vehicles around the world. A flexible and "on demand" mode of transportation, car2go complements existing public transportation by bridging the gaps between the "first and last mile" of a member's commute. Today, car2go's global operation is the largest, fastest-growing carsharing program in the world with more than 1,900,000 registered members and a fleet of over 14,100 vehicles in 30 locations across the globe.
The innovation and environmental sustainability of car2go have earned international acclaim, including TripAdvisor's 2015 "Travelers' Choice" award, "Best Carshare" from the Vancouver Courier, "2015 Best CarSharing Service" from Best of D.C., "2014 Best CarSharing App" from Best of D.C., recognition from the Austin Chamber of Commerce with the "Greater Austin Business Award" for its positive impact on the city's traffic, and the prestigious "2010 EPA Clean Air Excellence Award" from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Further information on car2go is available at car2go.com and car2go.com/NA/en/press/.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/smoother-better-faster-smarter-car2go-introduces-new-car-to-dc-and-arlington-300325958.html
SOURCE car2go N.A., LLC