LOS ANGELES, June 23, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) will unveil its mobile, solar-powered "Solarista Cafe" to promote the benefits of solar water heating at the annual Dwell on Design event at the Los Angeles Convention Center, June 24-26. Attendees at the annual design event will learn about solar water heating and recently expanded rebate incentives while drinking tea, coffee and espresso brewed in the cafe.
Solar water heating systems capture the sun's heat and work with conventional or tankless natural gas water heaters to improve efficiency and reduce energy costs. The roving cafe will have information on expanded rebates for residential, commercial and multi-family units that install solar water heating systems.
"SoCalGas is a proud sponsor of Dwell on Design because of its commitment to promote solar thermal technologies," said Ann Ayres, SoCalGas' director of customer engagement and insights. "Solar thermal systems offer our customers potential savings on their energy bills. By using solar thermal water heating systems, consumers contribute to a cleaner, healthier future that will reduce their carbon footprint in the long run. We look forward to showcasing our Solarista Cafe at Dwell on Design."
From April 15, 2016 to Dec. 15, 2016, SoCalGas customers who install solar water heating systems in single-family homes can receive a rebate of up to $10,000. Rebates of up to $800,000 at a rate of $25 per-therm are also available for multi-family and commercial system installations. For more details, visit socalgas.com/solar.
For the last 10 years, SoCalGas energy-efficiency programs have ranked #1 in California for natural gas savings. In addition:
- SoCalGas has provided some of the most cost-effective energy-efficiency programs in the nation. For instance, from 2004 to 2013, SoCalGas residential customers' natural gas consumption decreased 14 percent more than the U.S. average;
- Over the past five years, SoCalGas energy-efficiency programs have delivered more than 152 million therms in savings, enough to power 338,000 households a year and have reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 800,000 metric tons, the equivalent of removing more than 170,000 cars from the road;
- Over the same period, SoCalGas' energy-efficiency programs have generated nearly $668 million of avoided energy costs, including $184 million in annual bill savings for customers.
Natural gas will continue to play an important role in expanding California's use of solar energy and other renewables. Natural gas supports renewables by fueling power plants that maintain grid flexibility and reliability when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing. Natural gas will only become more important as the state moves toward its goal of generating 50 percent of its energy from renewables.
Dwell on Design is the first Southern California tour stop for Solarista Cafe that will continue through October 2016. Other stops include:
- July 8-10: The Ontario Home & Backyard Show
- July 23-24: Mid-State Fair, Paso Robles
- Aug. 20-21: Wings Over Camarillo
- Sep. 9-11: Ventura Home & Garden Show
- Oct. 1-2: Costa Mesa Annual Home Remodeling & Decorating Show
About Dwell on Design
Curated by the editors of Dwell magazine, Dwell on Design Los Angeles is America's largest design event offering three full days of exhibitions that highlight cutting-edge technologies. More than 100 speakers will give presentations and more than 2,000 innovative modern furnishings and products will be on display. SoCalGas is a sponsor of this year's Dwell on Design Los Angeles.
About Southern California Gas Co.
Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) has been delivering clean, safe and reliable natural gas to its customers for more than 145 years. It is the nation's largest natural gas distribution utility, providing service to 21.6 million consumers connected through 5.9 million meters in more than 500 communities. The company's service territory encompasses approximately 20,000 square miles throughout central and Southern California, from Visalia to the Mexican border. SoCalGas is a regulated subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), a Fortune 500 energy services holding company based in San Diego.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/socalgas-solarista-cafe-to-promote-new-rebates-for-solar-water-heating-installations-at-annual-dwell-on-design-event-300289549.html
SOURCE Southern California Gas Co.