During the NAMI Family Support Group sessions, family members support each other by utilizing their collective lived experiences and learned wisdom. Family members can achieve a renewed sense of hope for their loved ones living with mental health challenges.
Following a structured model, these NAMI Family Support Groups, led by family members of individuals living with mental illness, ensure that everyone has an opportunity to be heard and get what they need. The meetings are free and open to the community, and designed for family members, caregivers and loved ones of individuals living with mental illness. The meetings give insight to challenges and successes of others facing similar circumstances, and offer no specific medical therapy or medication recommendation.
NAMI Family Support Groups will help attendees:
- See the individual first, not the illness
- Understand that mental illnesses are traumatic events
- Aim for better coping skills
- Find strength in sharing experiences
- Reject stigma and not tolerate discrimination
- Not judge anyone's pain
- Forgive themselves and reject guilt
- Embrace humor as healthy
- Accept that we cannot solve every problem
- Work for a better future in a realistic way
- Recognize that mental illnesses are medical illnesses that may have environmental triggers
About Sovereign Health
Sovereign Health's mission is to provide a broad spectrum of high-quality behavioral health treatment services for adults and adolescents, including support services for family members. One factor that differentiates Sovereign from other treatment providers has been the company's ability to offer separate mental health and addiction or dual diagnosis treatment programs at its facilities. For more information, visit www.sovhealth.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sovereign-health-now-hosting-nami-orange-county-family-support-groups-300395827.html
SOURCE Sovereign Health