LONDON, Oct. 3, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- S&P Dow Jones Indices ('S&P DJI' or the 'Company'), one of the world's leading index providers, announced today that it has acquired a controlling stake in Trucost plc, a leader in carbon and environmental data and risk analysis, effective October 1, 2016, through its subsidiary S&P Global Indices UK Limited.
The acquisition will build on S&P DJI's and S&P Global's current portfolio of Environmental, Social and Governance ('ESG') solutions, well-positioning the combined entity to satisfy growing market demand through new product development and the enhancements of Trucost's existing capabilities, including the provision of environmental data via the EBoard platform and portfolio carbon footprinting.
Alex Matturri, CEO of S&P Dow Jones Indices said: "The demand for ESG data and indices is growing. This transaction strengthens the long-standing relationship between S&P Dow Jones Indices and Trucost, providing a strategic opportunity for us to create considerable value for sustainability-focused market participants. The complementary nature of our two businesses allows us to combine Trucost's industry leading environmental impact data and risk metrics with our global footprint and world-class benchmarking capabilities to develop new ESG solutions."
Dr Richard Mattison, CEO of Trucost Plc said: "Trucost has been a pioneer in providing investment grade carbon and environmental data to investors, companies and governments since 2000. By combining Trucost's over 15 years of data and expertise with S&P Dow Jones Indices' global reach and market leading services a powerful ESG platform is created, delivering insight to capital markets and companies. Never has it been more important to integrate ESG data into decision making and our analytical capabilities will allow investors, business leaders and policy makers build a more sustainable global economy."
For more information about S&P Dow Jones Indices, please visit www.spdji.com
ABOUT S&P DOW JONES INDICES
S&P Dow Jones Indices is the largest global resource for essential index-based concepts, data and research, and home to iconic financial market indicators, such as the S&P 500® and the Dow Jones Industrial Average®. More assets are invested in products based on our indices than based on any other provider in the world. With over 1,000,000 indices and more than 120 years of experience constructing innovative and transparent solutions, S&P Dow Jones Indices defines the way investors measure and trade the markets.
S&P Dow Jones Indices is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies, and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.spdji.com.
Forward-Looking Statements: This press release contains "forward-looking statements," as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements, which express management's current views concerning future events, trends, contingencies or results, appear at various places throughout this release and use words like "anticipate," "assume," "believe," "continue," "estimate," "expect," "forecast," "future," "intend," "plan," "potential," "predict," "project," "strategy," "target" and similar terms, and future or conditional tense verbs like "could," "may," "might," "should," "will" and "would." For example, we may use forward-looking statements when addressing topics such as: the outcome of contingencies; changes in our business strategies and methods of generating revenue; the development and performance of our services and products; the expected impact of acquisitions; and our cost structure, cash flows or liquidity.
Forward-looking statements are subject to inherent risks and uncertainties. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied in our forward-looking statements include, among other things:
- The impact of the acquisition described in this press release, including the impact on our results of operations, and any failure to successfully integrate the acquired business into our operations or realize expected synergies, savings or benefits;
- worldwide economic, financial, political and regulatory conditions;
- concerns in the marketplace affecting our credibility or otherwise affecting market perceptions of the integrity or utility of our products and services;
- our ability to maintain adequate physical, technical and administrative safeguards to protect the security of confidential information and data, and the potential of a system or network disruption that results in regulatory penalties, remedial costs and/or improper disclosure of confidential information or data;
- the effect of competitive products and pricing;
- consolidation in our end-customer market;
- the level of success of new product development and global expansion;
- the level of our capital investments;
- our ability to successfully recover should we experience a disaster or other business continuity problem, such as a hurricane, flood, earthquake, terrorist attack, pandemic, security breach, cyber-attack, power loss, telecommunications failure or other natural or man-made disaster; and
- our exposure to potential criminal sanctions or civil remedies if we fail to comply with foreign and U.S. laws and regulations that are applicable in the domestic and international jurisdictions in which operate.
The factors above are not exhaustive. S&P Global and its subsidiaries operate in a dynamic business environment in which new risks may emerge frequently. Accordingly, we caution readers not to place undue reliance on the above forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the dates on which they are made. S&P Global and its subsidiaries undertake no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances arising after the date on which it is made. Further information about our businesses, including information about factors that could materially affect our results of operations and financial condition, is contained in S&P Global's filings with the SEC, including Item 1a, Risk Factors, in our most recently filed Annual Report on Form 10- K.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sp-dow-jones-indices-acquires-trucost-300337852.html
SOURCE S&P Dow Jones Indices