BOULDER, Colo., Aug. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Orbotix, the makers behind Sphero, the first robotic ball controlled by smartphones, today announced six new apps including its first multiplayer and arcade-style games. The games, which include space fighting, tag, golf and a crazed rabbit, are designed around the Sphero gaming system which is controlled with a tilt, touch, or swing from a smartphone or tablet. The apps join Sphero's collection of games designed to reinvent how games and robots (and friends and families) play together.
"With all the new games and existing apps available, there are even more possibilities for how you can engage with Sphero every day," said Paul Berberian, CEO of Orbotix. "Our multi-player apps make Sphero the perfect addition to any party while our new single-player games provide hours of entertainment."
Want to turn yourself into a baller? Check out the new Sphero apps:
- Exile – Think beyond traditional, arcade-style space fighter gameplay and fly through space while destroying enemies and collecting energy cores. Available for iOS and Android.
- ColorGrab – A tabletop, multiplayer game that tests players' reflexes by flashing different colors and requiring players to swoop Sphero up at the right time to earn points. Available for iOS and Android.
- TAG – A multiplayer game utilizing collision detection technology with a new take on a classic: Red Light, Green Light. Currently available for iOS only.
- Golf v2 – This most innovative golf game has improved accuracy and course creation as well as a new practice mode. Caddy not included. Available for iOS and Android.
- Doodle Grub – A fresh take on the Snake game, and an example of brilliant, third party development. Navigate the grub with Sphero to eat apples, grow and avoid enemies. The app will debut on iOS and Android Sept. 14, 2012.
- Sphero v2 – A redesigned app that is more intuitive and accurate. It combines Sphero Drive, Sphero, SpheroCam, and other new functions together as one happy family. The app will debut on iOS and Android Sept. 14, 2012.
To watch these apps in action, visit http://vimeo.com/48044081.
To enjoy new games and adventures every day through Sphero apps, Sphero can be purchased at gosphero.com, Brookstone and Apple stores nationwide.
Sphero is expanding across the nation and will be available for purchase in 2,500 retail locations in the U.S. and Canada by November 1, 2012. Retail locations also will include Barnes & Noble, Target, FutureShop and Best Buy Canada.
Bringing together mixed-reality gaming and robotics, Sphero enables new game play for mobile devices including: robotic movement, kinetic motion, controller support and augmented reality capabilities. Created by Orbotix, a company dedicated to reinventing fun and gaming through consumer-facing robotics and phone-controlled devices, Sphero is the must-have gaming system and robotic device.
At Orbotix our goal is to continue to blend the real and virtual worlds to expand the boundaries of what we expect from technology. Our combined expertise in robotics and software enables us to create innovative gaming and entertainment experiences that bridge the virtual and real worlds. Founded by Ian Bernstein and Adam Wilson passionate robotic and software engineers, Orbotix is working to bring the real world to your smartphone. Based in Boulder, Colorado, the Orbotix team takes fun very seriously.