Sport Chalet Prepares Divers For Recreational Lobster Season
Specialty sporting goods retailer provides gear, tips and tricks for making a catch
LOS ANGELES, Oct. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- It's officially lobster season, and specialty sporting goods retailer, Sport Chalet, has everything you need to dive in and make a catch. Diving for lobsters may not be a common pastime for most, but with a few tips and the right gear anyone can jump in, have fun and enjoy fresh lobster.
"The Experts at Sport Chalet are ready to help equip divers with the right gear and expert advice, so they can start filling up their lobster report cards with catches," said Sport Chalet Expert Seton Kidd. "It's important to carry the correct gear to ensure that divers are being safe and following all state rules and regulations."
Sport Chalet has compiled a list of lobster diving necessities to have before diving in:
- All lobster divers must carry a spiny lobster report card that can be purchased from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). At the end of the season, report cards must be returned to the CDFW and the data is used to manage wildlife populations.
- Everyone must carry a gauge like the Trident Metal Abalone/Lobster/Clam when diving to ensure that the lobsters are large enough to keep. Be sure to check up-to-date measurements provided by the CDFW.
- A game bag is a necessity for holding captured lobsters while still diving. The Sieden Sports Lobster Game Bag is great because its secure closure won't allow the lobsters to escape.
- It's important to carry a dive light and the Princeton Tec Torrent LED Underwater Flashlight is a small and powerful tool.
- Always make sure a valid sport fishing license is on hand when doing any kind of recreational fishing or diving.
Kidd also has a few tips for first-time lobster divers:
- Hundreds of locations south of Santa Barbara are now open for lobster diving. Any area with rocky structure and kelp can hold lobsters, from as shallow as a few feet to more than 100 feet deep.
- When grabbing a lobster, try to pin it down on the bottom rather than trying to 'grab' it.
- Try diving at night, when the lobsters are most active. It is possible to catch lobsters during the day but night dives are usually more productive and fruitful.
- Check out the CDFW's new spiny lobster brochure, to ensure all rules and regulations are being followed.
For more information on Sport Chalet's selection of lobster diving gear, or to find a nearby Sport Chalet location, visit www.sportchalet.com. For additional media inquiries, contact email@example.com.
About Sport Chalet
Sport Chalet (Nasdaq: SPCHA, SPCHB) is a premier, full service specialty sporting goods retailer featuring the industry's top sports brands in apparel, footwear, and sports equipment. Founded in 1959 by Norbert Olberz, the company has 52 stores in Arizona, California, Nevada and Utah; an online store at www.sportchalet.com; a Team Sales division; and offers more than 50 specialty services for the sports enthusiast, including online same day delivery, climbing, backcountry skiing, ski mountaineering, avalanche education, and mountain trekking instruction, car rack installation, snowboard and ski rental and repair, Scuba training and certification, Scuba boat charters, team sales, gait analysis, baseball/softball glove steaming and lacing, racquet stringing, and bicycle tune-up and repair at its store locations. For more information, visit Sport Chalet at www.sportchalet.com.
SOURCE Sport Chalet
More by this Source
Sport Chalet's Top Holiday Gifts To Keep Kids Active
Dec 17, 2013, 11:05 ET
Sport Chalet Experts Recommend Top Tech Gifts For The Holiday Season
Dec 10, 2013, 11:05 ET
Gear Up for Ski and Snowboard Season With Sport Chalet
Dec 03, 2013, 11:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.