Sport Chalet Provides Tips and Tools to Stay Safe in the Face of Disaster
Specialty sporting goods retailer equipped with emergency preparedness gear
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Over the last 12 years, natural disasters such as major storms, floods, earthquakes and fires have affected 2.9 billion people. With alarming stats like these, it is important to be amply prepared should disaster strike. Whether a fire, flood or earthquake hits, Sport Chalet, a specialty sporting goods retailer, has all the survival gear needed for an emergency situation.
"Natural disasters can strike at any given moment and while it might seem difficult to prepare for the unknown, there are a number of standard supplies that should be easily accessible in the face of an emergency," said Sport Chalet Expert Chris Burston. "Sport Chalet is well equipped with a variety of survival tools and gear, as well as onsite Experts who have the knowledge to help you create the perfect emergency kit."
To further help consumers navigate their survival gear needs, Burston has compiled the following top 10 tools to ensure preparedness:
- Regardless of the emergency, storing a supply of safe drinking water is absolutely essential. Store water in 55 gallon (BPA free) drums, and always have a high capacity water filter, water purification tablets and/or a handheld UV water purifier.
- When temperatures drop and shelter or heat is no longer available, survival blankets are a compact, lightweight way to keep body temperatures warm.
- Food may be scarce. Dehydrated food buckets and #10 Cans are easy to store and have a shelf life of up to 25 years.
- Since medical help is not always accessible, be sure to have a well-stocked first aid kit to keep loved ones safe and healthy. Adventure Medical Kits, a company started by actual explorers and doctors, offers the best quality first aid kits and survival items on the market, which include essentials such as bandages, wound cleanser, wound repair (Quik Clot), splint, pain reliever, scissors and more.
- Storms and earthquakes can often leave homes without electricity for days, or even weeks. Always keep flashlights, headlamps or lanterns, along with plenty of batteries on hand, such as Princeton Tec Headlamps, which are lightweight and long-lasting, or Goal Zero products, which includes solar recharge kits and lighting.
- The serious preppers know it's always good to have an evacuation bug out route, should a quick escape be necessary. To assist in an efficient getaway, keep a handheld GPS or compass handy to avoid taking a wrong turn.
- Cell phones cannot always be relied on to call for help, so keep an emergency radio on hand, such as the Eton FRX 3 Radio, a solar and hand turbine powered AM/FM weather radio that glows in the dark and allows a 30-second emergency phone call.
- When assembling a survival kit, don't forget about stocking an extra supply of personal needs, such as medicine, glasses, sunscreen, bug spray with DEET and any other daily essentials.
- Many people overlook the fact that they might be caught without heat or gas, making food prep difficult. Fire starters, ready fuel and lightweight portable stoves alleviate this problem.
- In extreme circumstances when proper shelter is lacking, there could be the possibility of confronting dangerous wildlife. Just in case, it's a good idea to have personal defense items on hand, such as Sabre bear spray.
For more information on Sport Chalet's selection of survival and emergency gear, or to find a nearby Sport Chalet location, visit www.sportchalet.com. For additional media inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Sport Chalet
Sport Chalet (Nasdaq: SPCHA, SPCHB) is a premier, full service specialty sporting goods retailer featuring the industry's top sports brands in apparel, footwear, and sports equipment. Founded in 1959 by Norbert Olberz, the company has 52 stores in Arizona, California, Nevada and Utah; an online store at www.sportchalet.com; a Team Sales division; and offers more than 50 specialty services for the sports enthusiast, including online same day delivery, climbing, backcountry skiing, ski mountaineering, avalanche education, and mountain trekking instruction, car rack installation, snowboard and ski rental and repair, Scuba training and certification, Scuba boat charters, team sales, gait analysis, baseball/softball glove steaming and lacing, racquet stringing, and bicycle tune-up and repair at its store locations. For more information, visit Sport Chalet at www.sportchalet.com.
SOURCE Sport Chalet
More by this Source
Embrace Earth Day With Eco-Friendly Items From Sport Chalet
Apr 15, 2014, 08:02 ET
Gift Guide For Mother's Day: Sport Chalet Experts Share Top 10 Picks For Active Moms
Apr 08, 2014, 11:05 ET
Venture Into the Mountains Safely With Sport Chalet
Apr 01, 2014, 11:05 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.