NEW BERLIN, Wis., Aug. 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- When Brian "Pig Man" Quaca and the "Motor City Madman" Ted Nugent go airborne to tackle the exploding population of feral hogs, the success rate is always high and the action is equal parts education, adventure, shock and awe. Sportsman Channel, the leader in outdoor TV for the American Sportsman, brings back an expanded edition of "Aporkalypse 2013," a marathon that will educate viewers about the massive issues associated with feral hogs on Sunday, August 25 beginning at 8 pm ET/PT. For a sneak peek of what to expect, click here.
The night kicks off with the jaw-dropping action of a large-scale aerial hog eradication conducted by legendary rocker and sportsman Ted Nugent, and swine control authority Brian "Pig Man" Quaca, host of Sportsman Channel's Pig Man: The Series. In an hour-long special that has been dubbed "The Silence of the Hams" by those who have seen it, Ted and Brian attempt to liberate a Texas farm from a massive infestation of destructive feral pigs.
This TV special reprises the two highly respected sportsmen's 2012 Aporkalypse show, which achieved the #1 ranking in ratings for M18-49.*
This high octane night of pig reduction and education continues with four additional incredible shows including MeatEater, Travelin' Hunter, Territories Wild and Gun It with Benny Spies. Don't miss six captivating episodes of non-stop pig eradication, education and hunting from Sportsman Channel's top hog hunters on Sunday, August 25, starting at 8:00 pm ET/PT.
The endless battle against feral hogs in the United States begins in Texas. According to several wildlife managers at the Texas Wildlife Services, the Lone Star state has taken an estimated 750,000-plus feral hogs in the past few years and the non-native pigs continue their economically and environmentally destructive path across the state. An estimated 2.6 million of them spread across at least 240 of Texas' 254 counties.
"We are proud to bring our viewers a second edition of 'Aporkalypse 2013'," said Graig Hale, VP of Business Development, Sportsman Channel. "Brian and Ted do a tremendous job of shedding light on the ever-present feral hog epidemic that exists in Texas. Going airborne is one way to facilitate the reduction of feral hogs and viewers will get a unique view of this form of control."
Pig Man and Nugent's goal is to reduce the feral hog population over a two day period from the air. The "dynamic duo" is fully aware of the destruction feral hogs cause and they are determined to outdo last year's results that yielded a staggering 298 hogs.
"The feral hog population in Texas is out of control and I'm proud to say we eradicated (not hunted) nearly 500 feral hogs over two days," said Brian "Pig Man" Quaca.
From back-to-back episodes of hog eradication (Pig Man: The Series) from the air, Sportsman Channel's Aporkalypse 2013 showcases four additional hog hunting shows. The must see line-up is featured below:
Aporkalypse 2013 Lineup:
- Pig Man: The Series: Aporkalypse 2013 – 8:00 – 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. – Back-to-Back episodes of Pig Man: The Series. Brian "Pig Man" Quaca and Ted Nugent eradicate feral hogs from the air with high-powered rifles and for the first time, compound bows.
- MeatEater: 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. – Wild hogs can thrive almost anywhere – and they taste great – just ask author and adventurer Steven Rinella. Rinella travels to the Sacramento Valley in central California in search of a challenge and extremely good food. Rinella is extremely adept at spotting and stalking all sorts of game and this wild hog adventure is certainly a must see episode.
- Travelin' Hunter: 9:30 p.m. ET/PT – Join Tony Smotherman as he travels to the Golden State of California to spot and stalk wild hogs. The success rate and education involved in this episode will leave viewers on the edge of their seats and searching for more.
- Territories Wild: 10:00 p.m. ET/PT – The name Tom Miranda and bowhunting go hand and hand. Tune in and watch one of the world's most accomplished and acclaimed bowhunters stalk feral hogs in the Texas brush during a night hunt! This is one adventure viewers will not want to miss.
- Gun It with Benny Spies: 10:30 p.m. ET/PT – Benny Spies travels to Texas in his vintage 1973 Winnebago – "The Toaster" - for spot and stalk wild pig hunt with his rifle. As usual, Spies always brings humor and excitement to his successful hunt.
*Note: based on coverage area ratings 10-10:30PM 8/26/12, live+7, mid-sized networks defined as those with <79MM UE.
About Sportsman Channel: Launched in 2003, Sportsman Channel, and Sportsman HD, is the only television and digital media company fully devoted to sportsmen in the United States, delivering entertaining and educational programming focused exclusively on hunting, shooting and fishing activities. Sportsman Channel reaches more than 32 million U.S. television households and is available in HD. Visit www.thesportsmanchannel.com, follow on Twitter, @SPORTSMANchnl (twitter.com/SPORTSMANchnl) and Like on Facebook, facebook.com/sportsmanchannel
SOURCE Sportsman Channel