SSP America Partners With JFKIAT To Introduce A Star-Studded Line-Up Of Celebrity Chefs And Award-Winning Restaurants To JFK Terminal 4 MARCUS SAMUELSSON AND DANNY MEYER TO BRING THEIR POPULAR STREET LOCATIONS AIRSIDE
LANSDOWNE, Va., March 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- SSP America, in partnership with JFKIAT, is pleased to announce a new food and beverage program of nationally celebrated, award-winning chefs and innovative, original restaurant concepts to create an unparalleled dining experience for travelers through John F. Kennedy International Airport's Terminal 4. The star-studded line-up includes chefs and restaurateurs with deep roots in New York's melting pot of world cuisine: Marcus Samuelsson and Danny Meyer. These multiple award-winning figures are proud to bring their popular culinary expertise to the passengers of JFK, including New York's first-ever airport Shake Shack and Blue Smoke.
SSP America, the North American division of SSP, the leading operator of food and beverage brands in travel locations worldwide, is the sole food and beverage purveyor at Terminal 4. The $28 million food makeover, which follows SSP's $16 million renovation completed in 2009, is in response to the wider $1.4 billion expansion project for Delta Air Lines currently underway at the terminal.
Terminal 4 is home to 30 international and domestic airlines with an annual passenger volume of nearly 11 million travelers. By 2014, passenger volume is expected to increase to 15 million. Renovations are already underway and are designed to satisfy the terminal's hugely diverse, worldly-wise clientele and keep pace with the rapidly increasing sophistication of American travelers' palettes.
As part of its mission to elevate travelers' dining experiences in airports across the world, SSP will feature a restaurant mix reflective of the international foods found on the streets of New York. Passengers can choose from Marcus Samuelsson's latest creations, Uptown Brasserie and Street Food, or, Danny Meyer's Shake Shack featuring its ever-popular ShackBurgers and fresh frozen custard ice cream and Blue Smoke, a pioneer in urban barbecue. La Brea Bakery and Cake Tin will be sure to satisfy every carb craving and sweet tooth, while Le Grand Comptoir and Asobu sushi offer sophisticated, small plate options. Finally, Dunkin' Donuts will keep busy travelers running with a variety of beverages and snacks including hot and iced coffee, baked goods, oven-toasted sandwiches, and more.
The restaurants will be completed in phases with the first locations in Phase 1 opening to travelers in May 2013, coinciding with the opening of Delta's Concourse B extension. Shortly thereafter, a 1930's inspired, full-fledged New York diner, Central Diner, will open to the public in Terminal 4's Arrivals Hall. This will serve as the perfect rendezvous point for meeters-greeters, travelers with longer dwell time and airport employees.
"We're enormously proud to be continuing our partnership with JFKIAT, and to remain the sole food and beverage concessionaire in JFK Terminal 4," commented Andrew Lynch, CEO of SSP. "SSP shares JFKIAT's vision to redefine airport dining in the US, and this investment is evidence of our commitment to that ambition. Our new bars and restaurants include concepts created by some of the brightest and best-known chefs from New York and across the country. They will serve as a showcase of outstanding American dining at one of the most important airports in the world."
"These new restaurant offerings, which complement the exciting renovations made by SSP just a few years ago, demonstrate that Terminal 4 is again raising the bar," said Alain Maca, JFKIAT President. "With a major expansion underway, Terminal 4 is living up to its reputation as the city's most modern and efficient air terminal offering world-class services and amenities to our airlines and their passengers. SSP's remarkable composition of new restaurants includes a diverse range of national, international, local and proprietary brands bringing the total number of offerings to 16 new and expanded locations."
- Uptown Brasserie – Created by Top Chef Masters' champion and James Beard Foundation award-winning chef, Marcus Samuelsson. The New York style brasserie will feature an open kitchen, serving classic American favorites with international influences in a stylish and art-deco-inspired setting.
- Street Food by Marcus Samuelsson – Helmed by Chef Marcus Samuelsson, this marche-style restaurant offers a diverse menu inspired by street food from around the world in a stylish and welcoming fast-casual eatery.
- Shake Shack – Restaurateur Danny Meyer, along with Union Square Hospitality Group, have created this modern day "roadside" burger stand known for its all-natural burgers, flat-top dogs, frozen custard, shakes and more. This New York cult-favorite is making its entrance into the airport market at Terminal 4.
- Blue Smoke On The Road – James Beard Foundation's 'Restaurateur of the Year', Danny Meyer's flagship barbecue restaurant, Blue Smoke, located in Manhattan, inspired Blue Smoke On The Road. Executive Chef Kenny Callaghan's mouthwatering menu featuring ribs to seasonal sides, and specialty cocktails will be offered.
- La Brea Bakery – Known for her efforts to revitalize sourdough and artisanal breads throughout the United States, Pastry Chef Nancy Silverton's creation and national favorite, La Brea Bakery, will offer a variety of hand-crafted sandwiches, salads, fresh breads and pastries.
- Dunkin' Donuts – Terminal 4 passengers will soon be able to 'Run on Dunkin', America's all-day, everyday stop for coffee and baked goods.
- Central Diner – Open to the public, the 1930's inspired restaurant captures the simple elegance of a traditional New York diner. A customary service counter anchors the diner while surrounded by banquette, booth and patio seating.
- Cake Tin – Whimsical bakery where delicious cupcakes and sweets enjoy a natural affinity with Lavazza's extensive line of rich, flavorsome coffees.
- McDonald's – The world's leading hamburger chain with more than 33,500 locations around the globe will move to a larger location within the terminal with a newer, modernized design and expanded seating areas to better meet its high consumer demand.
- Le Grand Comptoir – Award-winning, French-inspired brasserie emanating hip European style and sleek modern charm, serving over 50 selections of superior wines by the glass and 100 by the bottle, all complemented by a creative wide-ranging bistro menu.
- Asobu – A modern, pan-Asian sushi bar transforms pure ingredients into dishes exploding with the flavors and spices of Thailand, Japan, Vietnam and Malaysia.
- Camden food co. – The award-winning market has a simple belief that "you don't have to be good, to eat good food". When travelers visit they can expect to find local flavors from regional farms and food artisans, with a bit of organic, fair-trade and something healthy for every taste.
- The Palm Bar & Grille – In 2009, The Palm Bar & Grille opened, marking the first airport concept of the National steakhouse. While the menu is aimed for travelers on the go, the restaurant is still deeply rooted in New York history and tradition that is The Palm, including its famous aged Prime steaks and Nova Scotia lobster tails.
- Buffalo Wild Wings – Buffalo Wild Wings is a destination for wing fanatics and sports fans alike. A new location in JFK's Terminal 4 will offer travelers a variety of menu options, including mouth-watering wings with 20 signature sauces and seasonings, a great beer selection and the ultimate sports viewing experience.
All establishments are scheduled to be opened by fall 2013.
JFKIAT LLC leases and operates Terminal 4 at John F. Kennedy International Airport in a public/private partnership with the Port Authority of NY & NJ. JFKIAT is the only private, non-airline company to operate a terminal at JFK.
Terminal 4 is one of the largest air terminals in the New York area, serving 30 international and domestic airlines with an annual passenger volume of 10.7 million travelers in 2012. With a major expansion currently underway to make Terminal 4 the new home of Delta Air Lines at JFK Airport, the 1.5-million-square-foot Terminal 4 will grow to nearly two million square feet and accommodate 15 million passengers. Phase I of the expansion project, slated for completion in May 2013, will result in improvements and enhancements that will benefit Terminal 4 airline partners and their passengers including an in-line baggage system, a centralized passenger security checkpoint and a host of new retail and restaurant offerings.
JFKIAT, through its sole member, is a partly-owned subsidiary of Schiphol USA Inc. (SUSA). SUSA is an indirect U.S. subsidiary of Schiphol Group. For more information visit www.jfkiat.com.
SSP is the leading dedicated provider of food and beverage brands in travel locations, operating restaurants, bars, cafes, food courts, lounges and convenience stores in airports, train stations, motorway service stations and other leisure locations. With a heritage stretching back over 60 years, today SSP has 30,000 employees, serving over a million customers every day. It has business at over 140 airports and over 250 rail stations, and operates more than 2,100 units in 30 countries around the world.
SSP operates an extensive portfolio of over 200 international, national, local and speciality brands. These include Upper Crust, Starbucks, Caffe Ritazza, Burger King, M&S Simply Food, Millie's Cookies, O'Learys, Caviar House & Prunier, and leading Asian brands Ajisen Ramen and Saboten, as well as stunning bespoke concepts such as the Montreux Jazz Cafe in Geneva and the award winning Center Bar at Zurich.
Its brand portfolio is tailored for each specific location, depending on variables such as passenger profile, consumer need states, location type, size and design.
SOURCE SSP America