St. Mary's (Phoenix), Duncanville (Texas) And Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland, Calif.) Top USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 Girls Basketball Rankings -- Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) and Whitney Young (Chicago) Round Out Top Five --
MCLEAN, Va., Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- St. Mary's (Phoenix), Duncanville (Texas) and Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland, Calif.) hold the top three spots in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national editorial rankings for girls basketball for the week of Dec. 3.
Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) and Whitney Young (Chicago) occupy the Nos. 4 and 5 spots in the rankings, respectively.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Norcross (Ga.) occupies the No. 9 position in this week's Super 25 rankings, thanks in part to the efforts of preseason American Family Insurance ALL-USA honoree Diamond DeShields, who had 33 points and five steals in the team's 70-54 defeat of Mill Creek (Hoschton, Ga). Norcross is preceded by No. 6 H.D. Woodson (Washington, D.C.), No. 7 Riverdale (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) and No. 8 La Jolla Country Day (La Jolla, Calif.).
Three teams that appeared in the Super 25 preseason rankings dropped out after early-season losses: Bollingbrook (Ill.), Hoover (Ala.) and Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.).
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports girls basketball rankings.
High School Girls Basketball Super 25
For Week of Dec. 3, 2012
- St. Mary's, Phoenix (5-0)
- Duncanville, Texas (14-0)
- Bishop O'Dowd, Oakland (2-0)
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (2-0)
- Whitney Young, Chicago (2-0)
- H.D. Woodson, Washington, D.C. (1-0)
- Riverdale, Murfreesboro, Tenn. (6-0)
- La Jolla (Calif.) Country Day (4-0)
- Norcross, Ga. (4-0)
- Riverdale Baptist, Upper Marlboro, Md. (3-0)
- Dr. Phillips, Orlando (6-0)
- Good Counsel, Olney, Md. (1-0)
- Rock Bridge, Columbia, Mo. (4-0)
- Long Beach Poly (5-0)
- Marion County, Lebanon, Ky. (3-0)
- Hopkins, Minnetonka, Minn. (4-0)
- Archbishop Wood, Warminster, Pa. (0-0)
- Fairmont, Kettering, Ohio (3-0)
- Springfield, Ore. (1-0)
- Hamilton Southeastern, Fishers, Ind. (7-0)
- Ossining, N.Y. (0-0)
- Pflugerville, Texas (13-0)
- Myers Park, Charlotte (3-0)
- Dutch Fork, Irmo, S.C. (2-0)
- Troy, Fullerton, Calif. (4-0)
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service USA TODAY Sports Images, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group