Star-Studded Lineup to Headline National Memorial Day Parade TRACE ADKINS, ROBERT GRIFFIN III, TAYLOR HICKS, JOE MANTEGNA, J.R. MARTINEZ, MISS AMERICA 2013, GARY SINISE, & SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIALS PAY TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO HAVE SERVED AND SACRIFICED
WASHINGTON, May 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The 2013 National Memorial Day Parade is packed with special guests, military salutes, celebrity participants, and musical performers. The Parade, the largest Memorial Day event in the nation with 3,000 participants and 250,000 spectators annually, takes place in our nation's capital.
Among the military highlights of the parade:
- A moving timeline honoring military heroes from the American Revolution to the present day;
- A special salute to the United States Army, commemorating 238 years of service, featuring distinguished veterans, tribute elements, and the U.S. Army Band;
- Senior leadership from across the U.S. military.
Participating celebrities include:
- Grand Marshal Army veteran, actor, and motivational speaker J.R. Martinez;
- Honorary Grand Marshal country superstar Trace Adkins and actors Gary Sinise and Joe Mantegna;
- A salute to military families featuring Honorary Grand Marshals quarterback Robert Griffin III along with his parents, Army veterans Robert Jr. and Jacqueline Griffin.
- Musical performances by Taylor Hicks and Miss America 2013 Mallory Hagan.
"This year's Parade embodies honor, respect, and gratitude for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice," said James C. Roberts, president of the American Veterans Center, organizer of the event. "The participation from folks across the country is a tribute to our fallen and as we honor them on their day – Memorial Day."
The Parade will be televised globally LIVE at 2 PM by The Pentagon Channel seen by military personnel around the world. The broadcast will also be nationally syndicated to more than 80 million households and streamed on Military.com and at www.nationalmemorialdayparade.com. Additionally, anyone can march with the troops online at www.virtualbootsontheground.com. The official Twitter hashtag for the Parade is #Parade4Heores.
The Parade will take place Monday, May 27, 2013 at 2 PM on Constitution Avenue between 7th & 17th Streets NW. Pre-parade ceremonies from 1-2 PM feature remarks from senior military officials and celebrity participants, as well as musical performances.
About the National Memorial Day Parade: The Parade, now an annual tradition, was founded in 2005 by the American Veterans Center (www.americanveteranscenter.org), a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational foundation dedicated to preserving and promoting the legacy of our military personnel.
SOURCE American Veterans Center