State Museum of Pennsylvania Announces September Programming
HARRISBURG, Pa., Aug. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The State Museum of Pennsylvania today announced its programming schedule for September:
Sunday, Sept. 9 - Special Free Events for Harrisburg's Annual Gallery Walk
- Free admission day; State Museum open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Final Day: "Art of the State," the special annual exhibition presented by The Greater Harrisburg Arts Council and The State Museum of Pennsylvania.
- 2 p.m.: Artists Conversations, a Special Gallery Tour of the "Art of the State Exhibition" featuring 1st place sculpture winner Mark D. Pettegrow of Point Pleasant, Bucks County, and the museum's Chief of Education and Outreach Beth A. Hager. Pettegrow and Hager will collaborate to provide an insightful insiders' tour of the exhibition. Free.
- 12:30 p.m.–3:30 p.m.: IdeaZone—Food in PA: From Field to Table, a hands-on learning room for all ages explores the diverse foodways, agriculture and food industries of Pennsylvania. Free.
- All day: Susquehanna Art Museum's mobile exhibit VanGO! will be parked adjacent to The State Museum near the corner of North and Third streets and open during Gallery Walk. Free.
State Museum 3rd in the Burg Event, Friday, Sept. 21, 6–8:30 pm:
The Susquehanna Art Museum will celebrate the 40th Anniversary its Doshi Gallery of Contemporary Art on Friday, Sept. 21, 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., with a free reception honoring its new exhibit entitled "Forty is the New Forever." The exhibit will continue through Dec. 9.
Wed., Sept. 26, 10 a.m.–3 p.m.: HomeSchool Day
The State Museum's fourth annual HomeSchool Day offers a special program tailored for families and community organizations who teach in a home setting. HomeSchool Day will feature the museum's vast collections and exhibits with a variety of gallery talks and demonstrations focusing on Pennsylvania's rich heritage. Program fee is $8 per person (adults and children) and includes a sneak peek of the museum's newly upgraded Planetarium. Members of the Pennsylvania Heritage Foundation (including State Museum affiliate members) will be admitted free of charge. Register for HomeSchool Day by calling 717-772-6997, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Community Archaeology Programs: The State Museum's Archaeology Section will offer a free program during Harrisburg's annual Kipona festival on City Island, Sept. 1–3, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. The museum's archaeology staff will speak with visitors while conducting its annual fall excavation at Dauphin County's historic Fort Hunter, focusing on the site's 18th-century occupation, from Sept. 5 to Oct. 12.
Planetarium Temporary Closure: The museum's Planetarium will be closed through late September for a major upgrade to its projection system. Watch for details for a re-opening during the weekend of Sept. 29–30.
Museum Closed on Labor Day: Offices and galleries of The State Museum will be closed in observance of Labor Day on Monday, Sept. 3.
The State Museum Store: The State Museum Store is open Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Sunday, noon to 4 p.m. Purchases support the ongoing educational mission of The State Museum of Pennsylvania.
The State Museum of Pennsylvania, adjacent to the State Capitol in Harrisburg, is one of 25 historic sites and museums administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission as part of the Pennsylvania Trails of History®. The State Museum offers expansive collections interpreting Pennsylvania's fascinating heritage. With exhibits examining the dawn of geologic time, the Native American experience, the colonial and revolutionary era, a pivotal Civil War battleground, and the commonwealth's vast industrial age, The State Museum demonstrates that Pennsylvania's story is America's story.
Museum hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults, $4 for children and senior citizens.
For more information about the museum, visit www.statemuseumpa.org.
Media contact: Howard Pollman , 717-705-8639
SOURCE Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
More by this Source
PA State Museum Announces Series of One Day Summer Day Camps for Kids
May 16, 2013, 14:47 ET
PHMC Awards 29 Keystone Historic Preservation Grants
May 15, 2013, 12:00 ET
The State Museum of Pennsylvania Announces May 2013 Highlights
Apr 30, 2013, 16:55 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.