OTTAWA, March 12, 2013 /CNW/ - Each year, the Governor General's Awards in Visual and Media Arts provide an opportunity to recognize the talent and creativity of Canadians. Throughout their careers, these men and women have been able to share their passion with us in fields as diverse as visual arts, architecture, video, independent film, audio, new media, and applied arts. I am pleased to congratulate the recipients of the 2013 Awards:
- Marcel Barbeau, painter and sculptor
- Rebecca Belmore, visual artist
- William D. MacGillivray, filmmaker and director
- Gordon Monahan, sound artist, composer, and media artist
- Greg Payce, artist-potter (Saidye Bronfman Award)
- Chantal Pontbriand, exhibitions and events curator, art critic (Outstanding contribution)
- Colette Whiten, sculpture installation artist
The success that our artists earn and the honours that are presented to them, both here at home and internationally, fill us with pride and contribute in many ways to the vitality of Canadian society. Arts and culture enrich our quality of life, boost our economy, and strengthen our communities.
On behalf of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the Government of Canada, I would like to thank the Canada Council for the Arts for recognizing our great artists every year. I would also like to thank this year's award recipients for their invaluable contribution to Canada's cultural scene.
SOURCE Canadian Heritage