WASHINGTON, April 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a statement from Maya MacGuineas, President of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget and head of the Campaign to Fix the Debt:
With the release of President Obama's budget proposal scheduled for next Wednesday, the Campaign to Fix the Debt is encouraged by preliminary reports that the proposal will include reforms to our entitlement programs – the true drivers of our long-term debt. These reported proposals point the way toward an emerging bipartisan consensus between the Administration and Congressional leaders over essential fiscal issues.
Budget proposals from both Senate Democrats and House Republicans would put the debt on a downward path as a share of the economy this decade, and we certainly hope and expect the President's to do the same. While we are heartened by the President's willingness to put some important reforms on the table, we hope that his budget proposal will go further in altering the unsustainable long-term trajectory of our national debt, creating a stable fiscal environment for the next generation.
The following is a list of criteria the Campaign to Fix the Debt would like to see in the President's proposal:
- Put the debt on a clear downward path relative to the economy
- Include serious health care reforms
- Include comprehensive Social Security reform
- Include pro-growth tax reform
- Put other areas of the budget on the table for discussion.
- Focus on the long-term
- Don't ignore expected costs or offset costs with unspecified savings
- Avoid budget gimmicks
- Build on, don't water down, previous proposals
- Demonstrate willingness to compromise on a bipartisan basis
For more information about the Campaign to Fix the Debt, please visit www.fixthedebt.org.
SOURCE Campaign to Fix the Debt