STEM Leaders and Future Innovators Convene in Indianapolis for Largest Technical Conference Hosted by SHPE
Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers to host premier annual conference
INDUSTRY, Calif., July 22, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) opened registration for the largest Hispanic technical conference in North America, 2013 SHPE National Conference, hosted in Indianapolis, Indiana from October 30 to November 3. The conference is expected to draw more than 5,000 Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) students, professionals, and corporations to the Indianapolis Convention Center.
The 36th annual SHPE National Conference is where corporations, federal agencies and universities can recruit from the nation's top STEM talent. At the SHPE conference, students and professionals from STEM fields will come together to discuss and share industry best practices and acquire skills to propel their careers, better positioning them for careers in top corporations.
"STEM equals jobs and Latinos are the innovators of the future," said Pilar Montoya, SHPE CEO. "The SHPE National Conference is the largest event for Hispanics in the STEM community. Our conference is truly aimed at ensuring Hispanics are aware of the top STEM opportunities available to them. This year is especially exciting for us as we plan to offer unique programs from inspiring Hispanic high school students to professional workshops, including bringing in more Fortune 500 companies to the career fair floor."
The 2013 SHPE National Conference promises to deliver on program workshops, featured guests speakers, award ceremonies and competitions. More than 5,000 attendees and 200 corporations including Fortune 500 companies will participate in this event. Program highlights include:
- Career Fair Expo - A unique opportunity for Hispanic students and professionals to meet representatives from sponsoring corporations, non-profit organizations, government agencies and graduate schools to learn about the latest technologies and career options in the STEM fields.
- Corporate Tours- Participants will have an opportunity to experience new companies' technologies, interact with potential recruiters, and network with engineers and scientists.
- Competitions - The SHPE conference competitions provide undergraduate and graduate participants an opportunity to compete by delivering their research in written and oral form before an audience of their peers. Competitions include Academic Olympiad, Design Competition, Extreme Engineering and Technical Paper & Poster.
- Pre-College Symposia- An extensive college and career awareness program that exposes Hispanic youth to STEM. Students from 6th to 12th grade explore the many career opportunities in this field.
- Programs- General Sessions give members a unique experience in General Workshops (Leadership Development, Academic Excellence, Career Development), Specialized Tracks (Graduate Institute, Dean's Summit, Latina Tracks and Corporate Readiness Program) and Distinguished Lectures and Technical Seminars.
The early registration period is from July 1 to September 25. For more information, visit www.shpe.org/conference2013. To stay on top of the latest updates and discussions, follow our social media networks at Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin.
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers offers a network of 341 chapters nationally. SHPE's mission is to change lives by empowering the Hispanic community to realize its fullest potential and to impact the world through STEM awareness, access, support and development. SHPE provides a variety of programming and resources including hosting the largest annual technical conference it the nation. For more information, visit www.shpe.org.
SOURCE Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers