CHICAGO, Sept. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The following was offered today by Strategic Planning Initiatives on Syrian Chemical Weapons Disposal:
Syrian Chemical Weapons Disposal – Unresolved Dilemma: While the United Nations and the international community meet on Chemical Weapons solutions, world leaders will be devising clear and coherent plans for Syria Chemical Weapons disposal. In this connection, will The Arab League directly contribute to the solutions by not letting the chemical weapons fall into the hands of nefarious players and Al-qaeda? Sarin gas use has been limited to Syria. What if Syrian Sarin gas, Tabun, VX or Mustard gas are used in an attack on Israel or another Middle East - North/Central African country? Not only will the Chemical Weapon stockpiles become an immediate problem if not destroyed, but the very existence of Chemical WMD's portend the ugly destruction and devastation of human life in the midst of the current Middle East crisis.
Crisis Readiness / Preparedness WMD Disposal Program: While Syria has begun submitting data on weapons, what sound approach has General Secretary Ban-ki Moon, President Obama, President Putin, President Xi and other U.N. Security Council members agreed on for the complete control, removal and destruction of Syrian chemical weapons stockpiles? Likewise, what biological weapon capability does Syria now possess which must be addressed? What role will The Arab League play in the Syrian WMD disposal?
Arab League Participation In Syrian WMD Talks: How is The Arab League going to step up to the plate to help assess and pay for Chemical Weapons disposal? When will The Arab League work in concert with the United States and Russia in reviewing, planning and controlling removal and destruction of the Syrian Chemical Weapons stockpiles? As The Arab League has the largest vested economic interest in the Middle East, how will it take a lead in the disposal of Syrian Chemical Weapons? Is existing timeline for Syrian Chemical Weapons control/disposal sufficient and clear enough so as to not let the Sarin gas, Tabun, VX or Mustard gas be distributed and used in the Middle East and North/Central Africa? Here are five major points (questions) for Arab League and U.N. Security Council:
- How will Arab League direct funding help pay for the safe and complete disposal of Syrian Sarin gas, Tuban, VX and Mustard gas (including munitions, containers, delivery systems and production facilities destruction)? Again, what is the Syrian biological weapon delivery capability?
- If the Chemical Weapon disposal process is not completed in Syria, what Middle East safe haven is available for Syrian Chemical Weapons destruction?
- What international authority will give specialists and experts the unfettered right to control, remove and dispose of Syrian Chemical Weapons in accordance with (protocols of) the United States, Russia, United Nations and the Organization For The Prohibition Of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)?
- How is the Syria Chemical Weapons destruction verified (cross checked and counter checked) to satisfy all United States, United Nations and OPCW safety and security stringent protocol requirements?
- Will the Arab League immediately commit certain monies, personnel and resources to search and seize any Chemical Weapons stockpiles shifted around in Syria or moved out of Syria? In this search and seizure capacity, the United States and Russia will act as advisors and monitors.
Though progress has been made during international talks on Syrian Chemical Weapons disposal, it is obvious that U.N. Security Council WMD Syria control/disposal programs should have been in place years ago. In this endeavor, The Arab League should now play a central role in planning, assessing and financing of the international WMD disposal effort.
BRUCE J. MORAN FOUNDER OF STRATEGIC PLANNING INITIATIVES IS A SENIOR CONSULTANT, SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (SME), AND STRATEGIC PLANNING CONSULTANT TO PUBLIC OFFICIALS, COMMITTEES, DEPARTMENTS, AGENCIES, THINK TANKS AND GOVERNMENTS. HE IS EXPERIENCED IN FOREIGN POLICY, SECURITY OPERATIONS & HI TECH SYSTEMS I.E. LOGISTICS & OPERATIONS (CONNECTIVITY, INTEROPERABILITY, AND INTERFACING), SMART FUSION PROTOCOLS AND APPLICATIONS. HE CONSULTS WITH THE PENTAGON, STATE DEPARTMENT, DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE, USTR, SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE, HOUSE COMMITTEE ON FOREIGN AFFAIRS, JOINT ECONOMIC COMMITTEE, SENATE/HOUSE COMMITTEES ON BANKING/FINANCE, SENATE PERMANENT COMMITTEE INVESTIGATIONS AND THE SENATE SELECT COMMITTEE ON INTELLIGENCE.
SOURCE Strategic Planning Initiatives