Strategies in Biophotonics Conference and Exhibition announces speakers
NASHUA, N.H., April 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Strategies in Biophotonics announces speakers for the meeting in Boston, September 9-11. This new conference with exhibition brings together an outstanding group of speakers who have been deeply involved in the development and commercialization of biomedical technologies and products based on optics and photonics.
The keynote speakers include:
- Robert S. Langer, ScD, MIT Institute Professor, whose patents have been licensed by over 250 pharmaceutical, chemical, biotechnology, and medical device companies: Creating and implementing breakthrough technologies.
- David Walt, PhD, Tufts and HHMI Professor, and co-founder of Illumina, the first DNA sequencing company to achieve the $1000 genome: Lessons learned from taking discoveries from the academic lab through commercialization.
- Ellen Strahlman, MD, MHSc, Senior Vice President of R&D and Chief Medical Officer at BD Biosciences: Meeting market needs with innovation.
- Gregory Altshuler, PhD, DSc, Senior Vice President of R&D at Palomar Medical: Creating new products for the life sciences markets.
In addition, well-known leaders in their fields will address topics ranging from the role of optics and photonics in the life sciences marketplace to global opportunities in the trends toward point of care and mobile health care services.
These speakers include:
- Robert Alfano, PhD, Director of the Institute of Ultrafast Spectroscopy & Lasers, City College of the City of New York, speaking on light advances in biomediphotonics
- Anita Goel, MD, PhD, CEO of Nanobiosym and winner of the Nokia XChallenge, speaking on personalized medicine and global health
- Robert Nordstrom, PhD, Program Director of the Cancer Imaging Program at NIH, speaking on translating biophotonics ideas into commercial utility
- Joseph Schmitt, PhD, Vice President of Advanced Development at St. Jude Medical, speaking on commercializing diagnostics
- Amy Kerdok, PhD, Manager of Clinical Development Engineering at Intuitive Surgical, speaking on lessons learned integrating optics into surgical robots
- Myron Greenspan, attorney at Lackenbach Siegel LLP, on what innovators should know about IP and patent law
And two expert panels:
- Fabian D'Souza, MD, President of Boston Strategic Partners, leads a discussion with medical practitioners, including John Frangioni, MD, and Penny Ford-Carleton, RN, MS, on meeting their needs with optics and photonics technologies
- John Dexheimer, President of LightWave Advisors, heads a group of investors providing insights on funding and acquisition strategies
"We are very excited to have such prominent speakers from across a variety of medical and technology fields, and from academia, business, finance, and government," says Barbara Goode, co-chair of the conference and Editor in Chief of BioOptics World. "I think attendees will find very valuable resources and knowledge here, as we bring together a truly unique and diverse group of people who are all involved in the development and commercialization of biophotonics-based products that are revolutionizing the life sciences."
Strategies in Biophotonics Conference and Exhibition is the only event dedicated to enabling product development and market success of biomedical technologies and products based on optics and photonics. It will be held at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel from September 9 to 11, 2014.
The event is owned and produced by PennWell, and is organized by BioOptics World and Laser Focus World. To register online and to learn more about Strategies in Biophotonics, visit: www.strategiesinbiophotonics.com.
PennWell Corp. is a diversified business-to-business media and information company that provides quality content and integrated marketing solutions for the following industries: optoelectronics, fiberoptics, electric power, water and wastewater, oil and gas, renewable, electronics, semiconductor, contamination control, enterprise storage, converting, nanotechnology, fire, emergency services and dental. Founded in 1910, PennWell publishes over 100 print and online magazines and newsletters, conducts 60 conferences and exhibitions on six continents, and has an extensive offering of books, maps, web sites, research and database services. In addition to PennWell's headquarters in Tulsa, Oklahoma the Company has major offices in Nashua, New Hampshire; Houston, Texas; London, England; Mountain View, California; Fairlawn, New Jersey, Moscow, Russia, and Hong Kong, China. In 2010, PennWell celebrated 100 years in business.
SOURCE PennWell Corp.