Successful Summer Gatherings Start with OFF!® Products Summer Savvy Survey Uncovers Outdoor Entertaining Do's and Don'ts
RACINE, Wis., May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Entertaining at home is on the rise1, and Americans are venturing out to their lawns, patios and balconies to relish each square foot their homes have to offer.2 With Memorial Day around the corner, the nearly 60 percent of Americans are beginning preparations for summer entertaining3 to officially kick-off backyard entertaining season. The makers of OFF!® brand products have teamed up with author, TV Host and entertaining expert Katie Brown to ensure Americans get the most out of their outdoor spaces this summer.
While DIY table decor, bright floral arrangements and staying organized are outdoor entertaining must haves for Brown, the makers of OFF!® products have created the Summer Savvy Survey3 to get a closer look at what Americans feel are this summer's entertaining do's and don'ts.
"When hosting outdoor celebrations, I've found that summer heat often means swarms of bugs. Results found that Americans feel getting invaded by insects without any available repellent would be equally as disastrous as running out of food. Keep guests comfortable by keeping items vital to the outdoors within your guests' reach," says Brown. "Nothing is more stressful than being caught unprepared, so rest assured by making it a springtime ritual to stock up on summer essentials like insect repellent, sunscreen and grilling supplies. That way you're prepared for every gathering – planned or impromptu."
Summer Savvy Survey Uncovers Outdoor Entertaining Do's and Don'ts
- Do: Prepare in advance
- When spring strolls in, Americans start planning -- 59 percent start preparing for summer entertaining in the spring with stocking up on insect repellent as their #1 annual ritual followed by exercising.
- More than three quarters of Americans say insect repellent gives them confidence to host and attend outdoor get-togethers.
- In addition to insect repellent - food, good weather and a grill are the most important ingredients for a successful summer gathering.
- Don't: Forget the bug spray
- Eight in 10 people say getting a bug bite and running out of food are the most annoying things that could ruin an outdoor party.
- 41 percent of people don't want to be outside without protection against insects.
- 60 percent of people would be embarrassed if they had no insect repellent on-hand for guests.
- Behind camping, outdoor gatherings and backyard events are the most highly cited occasions for insect repellent
Whether it's a family gathering, a Memorial Day party with friends, or simply a get-together with neighbors, use the full lineup of OFF!® products to help you spend more time outdoors this summer:
- OFF!® Clip-On™ mosquito repellent is a sprayless personal mosquito repellent that doesn't have to be applied directly to skin – a quiet battery-powered fan circulates odorless repellent, providing head-to-toe protection within minutes. OFF!® Clip-On™ repellent is now available in four decorative designs to match your favorite summer moments: new Limited Edition Black, Vintage American Flag, American Flag and Camouflage.
- OFF!® Citronella Candles enhance the ambiance of your outdoor occasion. The new limited edition Large OFF!® Citronella Bucket adds a touch of style to your summer gathering, burning for up to 40 hours.
- OFF!® Bug Control Backyard Pretreat offers both a spray and a stream option that allows homeowners to quickly and easily spot-treat shrubs, bushes and other areas of the backyard. Before guests arrive, attach OFF!® Bug Control Backyard Pretreat to a garden hose and spot-treat. One application kills insects on treated outdoor surfaces for up to eight weeks on hard, non-porous surfaces.
- OFF! Deep Woods® Dry offers long-lasting mosquito protection without that oily or greasy feel and provides great protection for a deep woods experience.
For more information about OFF!® products, visit OFF!® on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OFF or online at www.keepsbugsoff.com. OFF!® products are available in the insect repellents, lawn-and-garden and sporting good sections of food, drug, do-it-yourself and mass-merchandise stores such as Target, Walmart and CVS.
About SC Johnson
SC Johnson is a family company dedicated to innovative, high-quality products, excellence in the workplace and a long-term commitment to the environment and the communities in which it operates. Based in the USA, the company is one of the world's leading manufacturers of household cleaning products and products for home storage, air care, pest control and shoe care. It markets such well-known brands as GLADE®, KIWI®, OFF!®, PLEDGE®, RAID®, SCRUBBING BUBBLES®, SHOUT®, WINDEX® and ZIPLOC® in the U.S. and beyond, with brands marketed outside the U.S. including AUTAN®, TANA®, BAMA®, BAYGON®, BRISE®, KABIKILLER®, KLEAR®, MR. MUSCLE®, and RIDSECT®. The 127-year-old company, that generates $9 billion in sales, employs nearly 13,000 people globally and sells products in virtually every country around the world. www.scjohnson.com
1Consumer Outlook: Outdoor Living 2012, Iconoculture
2Multitasking BBQ smoker fires up backyard chefs, Iconoculture (July 8, 2011)
3As part of a research study to uncover insights for SC Johnson's OFF!® brand of insect repellents, Edelman Berland conducted a 10 minute online survey among a nationally-representative sample of 1,000 American adults. This survey was fielded between March 9 – 15, 2013.The margin of error for this study (n=1,000) is +/- 3.1%
Availability: OFF!® Mosquito Repellents are available in grocery, mass merchandise and drug stores nationwide
High Res Images Available Upon Request
SOURCE SC Johnson