Summer Savings Tips: Enjoy a Month of Culture AND Save Enough Cash for a Weekend Break
LONDON, August 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
It's widely thought that the best way to ensure you can attend a hot concert or sporting fixture is to buy tickets as soon as they're released, manically refreshing a webpage and hitting the redial button on a busy hotline.
However, data released by online ticket marketplace StubHub has revealed that waiting until the last minute to secure tickets can save you an average of £15.56 from their face value.
Analysing a month's worth of tickets listed on its site, the day before and on the day of an event, StubHub found:
- Over one in three (37%) tickets on the site were listed at face value or below
- The biggest bargains are often found with the biggest acts. Tickets for the likes of Kings of Leon, Santana and Rihanna sold for as much as £38 below face value
- Punters on a budget may want to look outside of London - of StubHub's top ten bargains for the month six were in places such as Birmingham or Manchester
- The best value can be found on single tickets, even for general admission events. Over half (57%) were on sale at or below face value, compared to 21% in blocks of four or more.
Based on seeing an average of two events per week in July and purchasing at last minute prices on StubHub, ticket buyers could have saved up to £283 - enough to cover a city break for two to Amsterdam*!
According to Brigitte Ricou-Bellan, StubHub General Manager, International, many punters are wising up to the last minute trend, adding: "We're seeing the emergence of a 'Last Minute Living' tribe, a group of young professionals that are more comfortable making plans on the go rather than buying tickets for a concert months in advance.
"By doing this, they are often the ones picking up the best bargains, as they are open to opportunities to see new acts or concerts as long as the price is right. It's definitely the way forward for bargain hunters!
Twenty-five-year-old Londoner Luke Campbell is a typical Last Minute Living-type, making his mind up on what to do just hours before his favourite events. He said: "Because my friends and I all have different work commitments sometimes it's virtually impossible to make plans more than a week in advance. We've now got to the point where we'll do a shout-out to everyone on a Friday afternoon on Facebook or whatsapp and go from there. It's much easier and less stressful than having people cancel on a catch up we'd scheduled ages ago."
Budget ticketing buying: How to Pull it Off
Determined to see your favourite band but on a tight budget? Planning ahead is the key, according to Ricou-Bellan. "For people that would love to see a particular event but can't afford it, I'd recommend setting a price-alert on StubHub, and we'll email you the instant tickets are listed at your chosen price. You'll be the first to know, and some speedy buying on StubHub's mobile app will get you the tickets within minutes."
Ultimately, making this work is all down to holding your nerve and leaving your plans to the very last minute. She adds: "For people that are flexible and happy to do something at late notice, keeping an eye on ticket prices can yield the biggest savings. Also, being are open to seeing new events can be a great way to discover a new favourite band or beat summer holiday boredom!"
StubHub's top tips to grab an event bargain include:
- Join the club! Some mailing lists, mobile phone contracts and credit cards qualify customers for "pre-sale" or priority sale access for certain artists and events, usually 24-48 hours before general sale.
- Go it alone. Single tickets are often cheaper than bigger orders of two and four. Going on your own can be more fun than you might think, allowing you to enjoy a guilty pleasure. You'll be in good company alongside thousands of other fans, too.
- Stick to your budget. On StubHub you can set a price alert and receive an email when tickets appear on the site at the price you've set.
- Consider sitting further back from the stage or even buy restricted view tickets. Modern venues pride themselves on their acoustics - so you can still enjoy the show while potentially saving ££s.
- Keep an eye out for "production seats", which are sometimes released by promoters close to an event. Originally allocated for staging/production, they are released to the public when promoters released they don't need as much room for a show as they previously thought. So keep your eyes peeled and keep checking with box offices.
- Enjoy a bit of Last Minute Living. Whether you're brave, spontaneous or just prepared to wait, ticket prices can often fall right before an event. On Twitter, follow @StubHubUK and our #StubHubLateDeals to see our pick of the day around lunchtime every day.
Other general tips to be mindful of include:
- Use a protected payment method such as PayPal or, at the very least, a credit card. Always avoid paying in cash or via bank transfer.
- While shopping online, check for the padlock symbol on the address bar when on a payment page. This indicates a page is secure. The address should start with Https://
- StubHub has an official partnership and integrated ticket system with the O2 London. So when you purchase on StubHub a new ticket and barcode is generated in the buyer's name. This can then be picked up at the box office
*Cost quoted is for a two day mid-week break to Amsterdam including flights and accommodation is £130 per person, travelling in mid-August from http://www.LastMinute.com as at 5/08/2013. Savings quoted is off the face value of tickets.
Greg Salmon, Ketchum, +44(0)20-7611-3827, firstname.lastname@example.org
James Hardy, Ketchum, +44(0)20-7611-3672, email@example.com
SOURCE StubHub UK
More by this Source
Prince Tops Online Artist Search Post BRITs 2014
Feb 21, 2014, 04:51 ET
Win a £100 Gift Certificate After Tackling StubHub's Ultimate Music Quiz
Feb 12, 2014, 04:00 ET
StubHub to Sponsor World Tennis Day Showdown in London in 2014
Jan 29, 2014, 06:52 ET
Browse our custom packages or build your own to meet your unique communications needs.
Learn about PR Newswire services
Request more information about PR Newswire products and services or call us at (888) 776-0942.