SAN FRANCISCO, July 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Procrastinating sun-lovers rejoice, you have a lot of company! Travel Ticker®, a leading inspirational travel website, today announced the results of its annual 2011 Summer Travel Intentions Survey. The poll was conducted in June 2011 and revealed the opinions of nearly 2,000 U.S. consumers on their summer leisure travel intentions. The results indicated that 86 percent of respondents are planning on taking at least one vacation this summer, which is up from 79 percent last year. However, most (70 percent) said they have not yet booked their vacations.
"We were surprised by how many folks haven't acted on their summer travel plans yet, but procrastination looks like it will pay off this year because we are seeing deals on Travel Ticker continue to sweeten as we head into the summer season," said L. Jasmine Kim, General Manager and VP of Travel Ticker. "Whether you're dreaming of being barefoot on the beach, sightseeing in your favorite big city or heading abroad, the trick is to let the deal be the inspiration to get the most savings."
More Travelers are Planning on Summer Fun This Year
The majority of respondents (73 percent) said they will travel more or the same this summer compared to 2010, with over 30 percent planning on taking 2 or more vacations. Free time was the number one reason for this, followed by a better economic situation:
- 40% will have more free time to travel this summer
- 26% say that their economic situation will be better than last year
- 25% say they have waited too long to take a vacation
- 22% think there will be better deals available this summer
For those who plan on traveling less this summer compared to last summer (18 percent), their economic situation was the largest factor:
- 52% say their economic situation will not allow them to travel as much this summer
- 27% will have less free time to travel this summer
- 19% don't think there will be better deals available this summer
- 17% plan on traveling more during the rest of the year instead
Sun Soaked Hot Spots Are the Most Wanted and Also Have Some of the Hottest Deals
Although the majority of travelers have yet to book their summer vacations, the survey reveals that they're at least clear on where they'd like to go once they do. And it seems like they want to go somewhere warm, as is evidenced by the top five most-wanted summer destinations. To help travelers get to their most-desired hot spots, the team of experts at Travel Ticker has also handpicked top deals for each locale. Just click on each destination to access the inspirational savings:
- 24 percent want to go to Las Vegas this summer
- 23 percent want to visit the Caribbean this summer
- 21 percent are dreaming of a Europe vacation for summer this year
- 20 percent want to take a bite out of the Big Apple, New York City this summer
- 19 percent want to soak up the sun in Hawaii for the full summer effect
The Travel Ticker Summer Travel Intentions Survey was conducted from June 22 until June 29, 2011, online among Travel Ticker users, with 1,880 completed responses. More information on the survey is available upon request.
Travel Ticker is an online inspirational travel website that is home to some of the best hand-picked, insider deals at many of the world's favorite destinations. With an ear to the ground and an eye for the unique, Travel Ticker's experts provide users with a geo-targeted platform to browse for researched travel bargains, the latest travel trends, and editorial insight. Travel Ticker is an independent business unit of The Hotwire Group. For more information, visit us at http://www.travel-ticker.com/ and join us on Twitter (@travel_ticker) and Facebook.
Travel Ticker and the Travel Ticker logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Hotwire, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners. © 2011 Hotwire, Inc. All rights reserved. CST# 2053390-40