NEW YORK, June, 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- A messy bun is a quick and cool hairstyle solution when temperatures soar. The casual, undone hairstyle is extremely versatile—it works for everything from a quick run to the grocery store to a summer wedding. According to the pro hair stylists at Matrix, even though the look should be unfussy, there's an art to striking the right balance between messy bun and just plain messy. Here are their tips, along with a how-to for the perfect messy bun.
5 Messy Bun Updo Tips
- To end up with a messy bun, start with somewhat messy hair. Second-day hair works well. If hair is naturally curly or textured, work with that natural texture.
- When creating a messy bun, hold the hair loosely. The object is to avoid a tight, ballerina-type bun. If your hair is scraped back firmly enough to double as a mini facelift, it's not really a messy bun.
- Keep top and bottom loose. The looser the nape area, the softer the overall look will be.
- Messy buns need a lot of support. Use a texture spray like Matrix Style Link Texture Builder Messy Finish Spray or dry shampoo like Style Link Play Back to increase volume and density. If hair is very straight, spritz damp strands with a salt spray like Style Link Rough Me Up Followed by a dollop of hair gel like Style Link Super Fixer to add texture before it dries. If curly or wavy hair is silky or slippery, add texture spray.
- Don't overthink a messy bun. The object is to create a look that is loose, soft, romantic and casual.
How to Create the Perfect Messy High Bun
- Apply a volumizing foam like Style Link Volume Builder at the roots before drying the hair.
- Curl hair with a 1 ¼-inch curling iron.
- Work dry shampoo into the roots of curled hair.
- Using the fine-tooth end of the comb, vigorously tease the top section at the point where the high bun will sit.
- Smooth over the top of the teased areas.
- Roughly tease the rest of the hair with a wide-tooth comb. Tease straight hair more than curly hair.
- Mist the midlengths and ends of the teased hair with Style Link Texture Builder Messy Finish Spray to help support the structure. Let the hairspray dry completely so it's not sticky.
- Holding hair loosely, pull it all up to the center top of the head.
- Fold the hair over once and wrap the elastic twice around the base of the hair to secure the bun.
- Gently stretch the bun apart at the top and bottom to loosen the shape.
- Slide fingers under the hair above the ears and gently lift to soften the head shape.
- Release a few slender, face-framing sections.
- Slide fingers under the hair in back and gently lift to loosen.
- Mist with more Texture Builder Messy Finish Spray.
Matrix Style Link products are available in fine salons worldwide. For more information and for a guide to Matrix salons, visit www.matrix.com.
MATRIX, the leading professional haircare and haircolor company in the United States, is part of L'Oreal USA's Professional Products Division. Founded in 1980, MATRIX is committed to the development of the salon professional and offers a wide range of products including: Biolage, Biolage Advanced, Biolage Cleansing Conditioner, Biolage ExquisiteOil, Biolage Styling, COLORGRAPHICS, COLORINSIDER, Color Sync, Logics, Oil Wonders, SOBOOST, SOCOLOR, Style Link, and Total Results (MATRIX professional products are available only in salons and can be guaranteed authentic when purchased from authorized retailers.) Visit Matrix.com for hairstyle and haircolor inspiration as well as MATRIX trends and tips! Professionals visit www.matrixprofessional.com for techniques, formulas, salon resources and much more!
To connect and chat with MATRIX go to http://www.facebook.com/matrix; http://www.instagram.com/matrix; http://www.youtube.com/matrix; http://www.twitter.com/matrixfamily; http://www.pinterest.com/matrixfamily
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/summers-hottest-hairstyle-is-the-messy-bun-300470074.html